New Starter Motor .. at a garage, or mobile auto-electrician

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wbmkk
80-90 Mem No: 9757

New Starter Motor .. at a garage, or mobile auto-electrician

Post by wbmkk »

My 1.8 TD california wil not start.

It hasn't started for a few months now, but it never really worried me. However, today a friend called who has a similar van and he brouight his jump leads. Sadly no luck, although it does seem to be 'trying'

His conclusion is that I need a new starter motor.

Is this something an auto-electrican would be able to handle. if yes, I know a very good mobile auto-electricam who has done a few repairs / modifications to the van in the past. Where could I buy a new starter from ?

Or is this something that woul dhave to be done at a garage. Again, I know a local garage where the van is usually serviced but not being able to start it, there might be a problem getting the van there. I suppose he could tow it, but as I've never been in a towed vehicle before, I';m not too sure I want to start now.

thanks
Van : 1989 1.6 TD Water Cooled California

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Re: New Starter Motor .. at a garage, or mobile auto-electrician

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

When you say..'trying'...

is the motor turning over... or the starter just going 'click',, :?:

Can you borrow a battery to try starting... :?:

Cordialement,

:ok

wbmkk

Post by wbmkk »

sarran1955 wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 19:41 Hello,

When you say..'trying'...

is the motor turning over... or the starter just going 'click',, :?:

It's more than a click, it sounds as if the starting process is half-way there. I'm not really technical, so can't really describe it better than that.

The van battery was fully charged plus the 'donor battery' was running to when we tried it

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

It’s two nuts and the electrical connections. Can you do it yourself? Take the OSR wheel off to help with access. Not difficult. If not, you can still bump start it in 2nd gear, therefore negating the need for a working starter motor and get it to the local mechanic. Some garages will collect, so worth asking.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

wbmkk

Post by wbmkk »

DoubleOSeven wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 19:46 It’s two nuts and the electrical connections. Can you do it yourself? Take the OSR wheel off to help with access. Not difficult. If not, you can still bump start it in 2nd gear, therefore negating the need for a working starter motor and get it to the local mechanic. Some garages will collect, so worth asking.

Oh, could it be push started ?

Trouble is, it's in my drive facing inwards, so I would have to get it off the drive, then try but if it didn't start I would then have problems getting it back on the drive, as there's a 'old style' dropped kerb.

Checking my old posts, the starter was actually replaced in Dec 2014 .. that auto-electrician I know fitted it then. So I suppose he could fit a new one again

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Before splashing out on a new starter motor.... :shock:

Try starting with a freshly charged battery properly attached in place of the old one...

If this does not speed the motor up, then you must look at the condition of the electrical connections...

Battery terminals, earth strap to body, earth strap from gear box to body, and terminals on starter motor...

If it is all clean and shiny it should start..

Cordialement,

:ok

wbmkk

Re: New Starter Motor .. UPDATE

Post by wbmkk »

I hear today from my friend (auto-electrician) that the timing belt has broken.

he said it could be a straightforward fix, or a more complicated repair if any damage has been done.

I explained that the van got MOT last year, August I think, then I drove it home without problems and it has been standing in the drive ever since. I tried to start it in the autumn, then again in the spring and again a couple of weeks ago, all without success. 

Suppose I'll have to get it towed to my local garage now.

I'm sure I have home-start (or whatever it is called) with my van insurance. Would that cover the towing cost to the garage ?

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

Did your friend have a look at the van to diagnose a broken timing belt?
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Re: New Starter Motor .. UPDATE

Post by Jeff J »

wbmkk wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 16:12

I'm sure I have home-start (or whatever it is called) with my van insurance. Would that cover the towing cost to the garage ?
They should either repair it on your drive or transport you to a garage that can. I would have thought a starter motor should have lasted longer than 6 years & to me it sounds like you are having a problem with either a flat battery or a poor electrical connection in the starter motor circuitry. Perhaps searching for & reading other threads about starter motors might help you.

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Do you have an alarm fitted which maybe inhibiting starting, also try depressing the clutch pedal when turning over heard this assists sometimes, otherwise as stated above clean all contacts and ensure they all make good contact, would disconnect the battery before cleaning around starter motor, even though there maybe no voltage there until the ignition is on. That is of course after the other issue has been repaired.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX