3 across the front?!?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forden341
80-90 Mem No: 15589

3 across the front?!?

Post by Forden341 »

Morning all,
I have a 1990 Karmann Gipsy with a lovely pair of beige captains seats up front, these are great but I am looking for a 3 seat option as anyone traveling for more than 10 minutes facing sideways in the rear seems to require a bucket!!
I have a spare single and twin that would work but will require a bar of sorts to make up for the lack of bulkhead, also this will only give me a lap belt in the centre seat. I like the idea of a full width caravelle type seat but again will require a bar to support and a seat belt solution, also I think these are slightly too wide?
My son has mobility issues and would benefit from something slightly supportive and possibly with arm rests hence the caravelle rear seat was appealing.
Any input would be great.
Thanks all
Bert.

Beatnik81
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: 3 across the front?!?

Post by Beatnik81 »

Tins do a full bench seat designed for the t25/t3 not cheap though think its over £1000 without upholstery the back does flip over though so u can sit rear facing when parked
With your current 1 + 2 seats you can either fit a bar across the full van to replace the bulkhead they would normally rest against or you can make supporting brackets (similar to what tins use if you look at theirs) to keep the back up

Forden341

Post by Forden341 »

I did think about those as a mate has one in his van but the Gipsy interior layout wouldn’t work well in the flipped or reverse position due to fitted units. Thanks for the input though.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Ive seen a single seat adjuster mechanism added to a double seat to make it self supporting , you’re going to block the walk way either way, the double slides onto the single seat runner with no mods

Forden341

Post by Forden341 »

davidoft1 wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 18:36 Ive seen a single seat adjuster mechanism added to a double seat to make it self supporting , you’re going to block the walk way either way, the double slides onto the single seat runner with no mods

Thanks.
How did I not think of that!
That would be a great solution as I would be able to swap the seats back easily if I were to go back to 2 singles again. I did think I’d won some foam and covers to match the existing cloth on eBay from a double caravelle seat but the seller went back on the deal unfortunately.
The only real problem would be a seat belt now, even with the frame solid I’m guessing it wouldn’t be man enough to take a 3 point set up.

Forden341

Post by Forden341 »

These are the existing seats, ideally it would be good to find enough cloth to match in, anyone have any caravelle double or triple seats about?

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

Forden341 wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 18:58
davidoft1 wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 18:36 Ive seen a single seat adjuster mechanism added to a double seat to make it self supporting , you’re going to block the walk way either way, the double slides onto the single seat runner with no mods

Thanks.
How did I not think of that!
That would be a great solution as I would be able to swap the seats back easily if I were to go back to 2 singles again. I did think I’d won some foam and covers to match the existing cloth on eBay from a double caravelle seat but the seller went back on the deal unfortunately.
The only real problem would be a seat belt now, even with the frame solid I’m guessing it wouldn’t be man enough to take a 3 point set up.

You could mount the middle 3 point to to the roof in the walkway, the roof pillar should still be there

Forden341

Post by Forden341 »

That’s a great idea, is the roof strengthener in line with the B pillars?
I’m not sure exactly how much was removed when Karmann chopped the body about. I’ll have a feel through the headlining.
Thanks.

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

I don't know the set up of the Gypsy, but is there anyway the side facing seat in the rear could be adapted and placed on a swivel mount.

1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Forden341

Post by Forden341 »

Jim San wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 18:40 I don't know the set up of the Gypsy, but is there anyway the side facing seat in the rear could be adapted and placed on a swivel mount.

No, unfortunately not, the seats in the back are wooden boxes really😬Image

Forden341

Post by Forden341 »

My roof finishes as per the picture and it seems there is a substantial strengthening rail there. I think I should be able to hopefully find an inertia reel that will work upside down and maybe fit it up there. Downside would be it’s around 500mm above shoulder height but maybe I could build a loop of some sort into the double seat to direct it nicely to the shoulder?

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

Jim San wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 18:40 I don't know the set up of the Gypsy, but is there anyway the side facing seat in the rear could be adapted and placed on a swivel mount.

More a chez long than a seat :D

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

Forden341 wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 19:21 Image

My roof finishes as per the picture and it seems there is a substantial strengthening rail there. I think I should be able to hopefully find an inertia reel that will work upside down and maybe fit it up there. Downside would be it’s around 500mm above shoulder height but maybe I could build a loop of some sort into the double seat to direct it nicely to the shoulder?

My Westy rear seat belt is roof mounted at the tailgate and reaches to the back seat , that’s a lot further I would say

Have a look on the securon web site

I’m sure you could mount at that point in your picture

Forden341

Post by Forden341 »

davidoft1 wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 22:01

My Westy rear seat belt is roof mounted at the tailgate and reaches to the back seat , that’s a lot further I would say

It’s not so much the distance, it’s the angle, it’s almost directly above the seats, I’d have to draw an imaginary line from the buckle then across the shoulder in the correct angle then fix the reel. The working angle may mean that that passengers head will be on the dashboard before it locks 🤔

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

Forden341 wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 22:13
davidoft1 wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 22:01

It’s not so much the distance, it’s the angle, it’s almost directly above the seats, I’d have to draw an imaginary line from the buckle then across the shoulder in the correct angle then fix the reel. The working angle may mean that that passengers head will be on the dashboard before it locks 🤔

Then maybe a tube from roof to floor 40x40 Bolted top and bottom, covered in vinyl , make the mount where you want it :)

Or put the inertia reel at the bottom and receiver at the top