Starter, what would you do ?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Phillydra
80-90 Mem No: 17194

Starter, what would you do ?

Post by Phillydra »

So after reading a few threads on here about starter motor issues and watching a few videos on youtube I'm unsure what to do?

Yesterday I went to the van and turned the key and just got a click sound form starter motor it did this say 2/3 times then fired up like normal, this morning i tried it again couple clicks with no start then fired up just fine, tested the battery and the level is good the connections at that end looked ok too, so this afternoon it took a fair few clicks then started, 

I've reserved a starter motor form Eurocarparts to pick up tomorrow, I just went out to the van and fired it up first turn about 5 times then once it clicked then started, 

my problem is, do I change it or leave it for now but I have a 4-day camping trip coming up Thursday, the first one!

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Starter, what would you do ?

Post by Mocki »

Have you cleaned the connections actually on the starter motor end ? 
the big lead rather than the small one ....
the small one is producing the "click " but it’ll do no harm to clean it up and maybe nip it up a bit so it’s a tighter fit on the spade 

I always have carried a spare starter motor in the van anyway , since the early days when mine failed in London and I needed up having to bump start it at a petrol station , so if it were me I would at least collect the new one , and if I didn’t fit it , I would stow it away . Like many things , if you have it , you won’t need it ! 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Phillydra

Post by Phillydra »

thanks, Steve 

I've taken the rubber cover off the main power lead it was pretty clean under there, the connector was also pretty tight,

I think I'll still pick up the new starter as I'm hoping to do some long journeys and like you say better to have it,

I also tightened the battery terminals which might have been loosened up from when I fitted an amp couple weeks ago, fingers crossed. 

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

I remember out T2 and my beetle having a similar problem , if it's not sorted with the tighter connection it might be a worn starter Bush in the bell housing .
The end of the started shaft fits into this . A very cheap part and easily replaced by winding a "tap" into the old Bush then pulling it out , drift the new one in. Done
Hope you get it sorted.
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

If you are going on a long holiday, I would suggest carrying a starter motor, distributor and coil as spares.
Mine are sealed in freezer bags, stowed and strapped in the rhs rear air vent bay.

I have lost count of the times that my kit has been used on other VWs to at least find the problem.. :roll:

Small point... your gearbox casing is looking a bit crusty, so when the starter motor is removed, clean where it fits the bellhousing
to shiny metal, improves the earth.. :wink:

Long run....check the CV joint bolts and carry the right locking tool.
Check the spare tyre before you go and make sure you have the means to jack the van safely..

Cordialement,

:ok

Phillydra

Post by Phillydra »

Thanks all, 

Dazzo, yes watched a guy do this on youtube, I need to get a tap, when i do remove the starter,

Sarran yes, I'm building up a stock of spares and building up to a drive around France next year,

love the idea of storing them in that place I'm going to do that, all my other bits like tools and axle stands already taking up space 

agreed it does look a bit crusty. 

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello
Phillydra wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 09:40

Sarran yes, I'm building up a stock of spares and building up to a drive around France next year,
This is the way to go, take your time and get the vehicle thoroughly 'settled' before tackling a Continental trip... :wink:

Most of the breakdowns that come to me fall in the following categories:

' I don't understand, the van was serviced just before we left'............ignition..clutch..brakes..
' We were in a rush so we thought to fix it on the way'....something big comes adrift/snaps/dies..
' it has always made that noise/warning light/intermittant stumble'.. no electrical power....boiling up..oil pressure disaster...

VAG in France are not very helpful because they do not stock the parts, however if a friendly 'garagiste' is presented with the spare,
you will get the job done easily.

The usual scenario is for the bus to die at the camp site, but if you know what you need, Brickwerks offer an excellent postal service abroad.

My van is in pieces at the moment, gradually being prepared, after VASP certification, for my big retirement trip round Europe.
As I work on the van I see how much my needs have progressed over the years and know more precisely what I want
the vehicle to do, with the least fuss and the best comfort. This will be the last iteration for me, so 3 hours reflection result in 1 hour of better results.

Have fun, work safe..

Cordialement,

:ok