Leisure battery extra fuse box questions

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

troglodisme
80-90 Mem No: 17053

Leisure battery extra fuse box questions

Post by troglodisme »

I am installing an extra fuse box for my leisure battery and have made a diagram to make sure I know what I am doing. Could you please take a look a let me know what you think..

Questions:
- Is it ok to short the ignition amplifier wire with on the main 12v line as I am not going to control it from the van's key switch?
- The 3 pin toggle switches have very bright built in leds. How can I reduce their power without also reducing the power to the amp/fan/usb outlets? Can I have a resistor on the ground line?
- How do I know when I am over loading my leisure battery? Should I be monitoring how much current is been drawn somehow? 

Thanks
VW T25 2.0 CU 1981 Westfalia Hightop 

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Leisure battery extra fuse box questions

Post by Mocki »

Circuit looks fine for what it is .

yes adding a resistor to the -12vdc to the switch for the warning light will work to some extent , depending on what the illumination is provided by , it may not work with some leds , may just be better to defuse the light output with opac paint or self adhesive tape ? 

as for over loading you battery , I assume you mean flatterening it ?  You may add a volt meter , or a low voltage cut off device 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253014218917

if it’s a three way fridge the 12v should not be wired to a leisure battery ( other than the ignition if it has one ) it should be direct to the main battery via a alternator triggered relay 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Rather than daisy chain the inputs use a 4 or 6 way single input fusebox. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32V-4-Way-Bl ... SwZe9bM3E5
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

troglodisme
80-90 Mem No: 17053

Post by troglodisme »

Thanks, that's much better! 

What about ground? Kind of long to daisy chain all those too. Is the ground from the leisure battery shared with the main battery? In other words can I use the ground from the chassis to complete the circuits shown here? :shock:

VW T25 2.0 CU 1981 Westfalia Hightop 

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

troglodisme wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 13:16 Thanks, that's much better! 

What about ground? Kind of long to daisy chain all those too. Is the ground from the leisure battery shared with the main battery? In other words can I use the ground from the chassis to complete the circuits shown here? :shock:

Yes, that is the normal way of doing it. Leisure battery and starter battery both earthed to the body.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow