Reproduction Westfalia pop tops

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ph2000
80-90 Mem No: 0

Reproduction Westfalia pop tops

Post by ph2000 »

Hi
This is my first post on here, so be kind... :D

I have recently found a lot of rot under my Autosleeper high top. I am getting a decent roof put on, and will keep it as a tin top for the time being. My plan is to fit a westy style pop top, at some point, as this suits my circumstances better than refitting the high top. I have a couple of queries..

1. Has anyone else done this using a regular tin roof (the roof cut I am getting is not from a Westfalia conversion)? I am reliably informed that there are issues with a non Westy roof, in that a genuine westy pop top would not be a perfect fit on a regular tin roof, due to the slightly different shapes of a regular roof and a westy roof at the point of manufacture.

2. Can anyone recommend a supplier. I have someone available who can fit it, just after recommendations before laying out the cash.

The ones I have seen so far are from Space roofs in the Southwest and Pop Top Roofs in the Northeast.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Re: Reproduction Westfalia pop tops

Post by ZsZ »

I just installed an original westfalia roof onto my tintop last weekend. I have used a Mosaik Joker frame, bed, and rear reinforcement plates.
The only difference between a Mosaik Joker top and a standard top is the hinge. The standard hinge has 100 degrees between the mating surface and the vertical part while the Mosaik one has 105 degrees. The standard ones need a bit of bending to fit on a tintop.

The strenghtening frame for the big hole can be bought at vwbusshop.de
https://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlC ... 255070745G

You can buy new roofs in complete kits from a few UK suppliers like poptoproofs.co.uk or spaceeoofs.co.uk
Or there is the Reimo Superflach kit but I think that is more expensive.

My collection of pics:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

ph2000

Post by ph2000 »

ZsZ wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 18:51 I just installed an original westfalia roof onto my tintop last weekend. I have used a Mosaik Joker frame, bed, and rear reinforcement plates.
The only difference between a Mosaik Joker top and a standard top is the hinge. The standard hinge has 100 degrees between the mating surface and the vertical part while the Mosaik one has 105 degrees. The standard ones need a bit of bending to fit on a tintop.

The strenghtening frame for the big hole can be bought at vwbusshop.de
https://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlC ... 255070745G

You can buy new roofs in complete kits from a few UK suppliers like poptoproofs.co.uk or spaceeoofs.co.uk
Or there is the Reimo Superflach kit but I think that is more expensive.

My collection of pics:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

ZsZ, this is a massive help. Thanks very much! Good job well done :ok

Fugeh

Post by Fugeh »

I'm really interested in how you get on with this as I am considering something similar (roof condition pending). I know that my Autosleeper roof is rotten at the front in the middle of the windscreen. Also I have some staining at the rear, but internally the sides look mainly just surface rust and the gutters are okay. How bad was yours? 

Keep us up to date with how you get on!
88 Autosleeper Trident 1.9
Hythe, Kent.

ph2000

Post by ph2000 »

Fugeh wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 09:31 I'm really interested in how you get on with this as I am considering something similar (roof condition pending). I know that my Autosleeper roof is rotten at the front in the middle of the windscreen. Also I have some staining at the rear, but internally the sides look mainly just surface rust and the gutters are okay. How bad was yours? 

Keep us up to date with how you get on!

Hi Fugeh,

No problem. I'll post updates as we go along.

Mine was pretty bad. The outward facing metal directly above the screen was pretty much totally rotten. The sides of mine look decent from inside, but after cutting the remaining sealant away and lifting the roof slightly, it was pretty bad. In the words of the professional who is doing the work, after I asked if I could lower the roof and if he needed to see the back as well (its heavier than it looks, when you're inside holding it a foot up at the front) "I've seen all i need to see!". I know him personally so fully trust him, and he suggested a whole new roof. I say new... you can't get new as far as I know, so I have found a decent one, which I'm picking up soon.

I noticed mine was getting worse when the small few drops of water in the passenger footwell was getting bigger every time it rained!

I'll try to get some pictures when the roof is off, though it'll be out of my hands and away from my drive at that point. To summarise, the rust was pretty much right round the roof front and sides. I've taken out all the carpet lining and everything above the windows and the damage at the back looks fairly bad too, though I haven't seen directly under the roof at the back. Some is surface rust, but more of it is rusted right through. I think the water gets under the roof skin where there are rusted holes, then runs down the pillar(s) at the front, ending up in the footwell.

I will update.

Cheers,
Paul

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

Amazing Ph2000.   i have recenntly aquired a  t25 with mosaik instal  and  most of it has not been done incorrectly the luggage rack had some horendous bent rusty steel pop riveted to the cab roof and  then  riveted through the drain holes,,, iv just  finished making a template and  transfered  and fitted the correct mounts for it, my next step was to tackle the rear hinges,, which are also rivited,,, now thanks to you i can replicate the strengthning plates and do it properly. you also have the instal instructions which iv  been looking for for ages for the  furniture, as obviously this was n0t done correctly and then butchered at some point. you have made my life so much easier.. 
thanks
rascal

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

Anyone interested in reproduced reinforcing plates for the westfalia mosaik pop top roof. I have used The dimensions to get a metal fabricator to make theses up and have been quoted £20 each.. So a total of £40 for a pair. With a minimum order of 6... So 3 sets one set I would use leaving 2 more sets available if anyone was interested...