1.9AEF Crank seal failure

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Drover
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.9AEF Crank seal failure

Post by Drover »

Looking for some advice please. Replaced my 1.7D ky for a 1.9D AEF. The conversion went well and van driving great. problem has been two blown crankshaft seals within a few months, contaminating the clutch and putting the van off the road. There does not seem to be any end float on the crank and I think the engine breathers are fine. Engine is smooth with no smoke. When the conversion was done I fitted the 1.7 oil pump into the 1.9 engine. The spec for the oil pressure for the 1.7 is 1.1 bar at 2000 rpm, I cannot find the spec for the AEF engine. I am wondering if the 1.7 pump is too strong for the 1.9? or am I barking up the wrong tree? Would appreciate your advice

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: 1.9AEF Crank seal failure

Post by Aidan »

did you calibrate the dipstick oil level for the replacement engine, excess oil in sump can cause a seal issue

Drover
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: 1.9AEF Crank seal failure

Post by Drover »

Hi Aidan,

I will check that when I remove the oil and the sump, I suppose it is a possibility. 4.5L should be the correct amount of oil I think.