Radiator fan not kicking in

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

UnsyP
80-90 Mem No: 0

Radiator fan not kicking in

Post by UnsyP »

Please accept my appologies for being a novice, so please also be mindfull of my limited understanding. My radiator fan has recently stopped working. Obviously, this now causes issues when sat in traffic. I'm fine as you would expect when driving; where the temp guage sits quite happliy at 3/4 - 6/8 etc.

I seem to have a very basic fuse panel, only 12 fuses; and they are the old style continental fuses. Very much like an eary beetle or type1/2 camper. Is this right? I undersand that fuse 1 should be for the radiator fan; and that it should be a 30amp fuse. Mine has a white 8amp fuse in situ. None of the fuses seem to have blown either.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by UnsyP on 26 Jun 2020, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

UnsyP

Re: Radiator fan not kicking in

Post by UnsyP »

ImageAny ideas would be appreciated.
Last edited by UnsyP on 26 Jun 2020, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Rad fan is fuse 7 on a early fuse box
Have you tried bridging out the switch in the radiator ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

If the fuse is intact then it's probably the temperature switch fitted in the side of the radiator on the left side (near side in the UK)

You can test the fan by bridging the connections in the connector that goes onto the switch with a short piece of wire. You don't need the ignition on. If your fan connector has three terminals, don't worry about which ones are which. There are three possible combinations. Two combinations will make the fan run, (one high speed, one low speed) one won't run the fan at all.

it's worth getting a new switch or two anyway, even if the old one is working, you would be well advised to carry a spare in the van always.

You don't need to drain the coolant to change the switch, just be quick and top up if necessary when you've fitted the new switch.

New switches available from the usual suspects BW, JK, GSF, any motor factor.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

JeffRoo
80-90 Mem No: 15579

Post by JeffRoo »

Hi, I have a 1984 A reg van with the early type bullet fuses as well. Fuse number 7 should be the radiator fan and rated at 8 amps (according to the 1983 handbook). Some people put in 16 amps as this is the rating on later vans. Definitely shouldn’t be 30 amps!

To check if the fan works is simple. Remove the lower grill and on the right hand side of the radiator (as you are looking at it) you will see an electrical plug. This is the radiator temperature sensor. Remove the plug and try shorting out the connections with a piece of wire. You may have only 2 connections (single speed fan) or 3 connections (2 speed fan). On the 3 connections trial and error should see the fan run. If it doesn’t (mine didn’t recently) it may be the earth connections. There are 2 earth crowns screwed to the chassis behind the fuse ‘box’. Remove all of the wires (simple spade connectors) and remember how many you have so you don’t miss reconnecting one once you have cleaned the earth crowns. Remove the earth crowns (cross head screw) in the centre and give them a good clean with a wire brush or emery cloth or sandpaper. Put it all back together and try shorting out the electrical plug again. If the fan runs, then GREAT you have fixed it :lol:  and can no longer call yourself a radiator fan novice  :rofl

If it still doesn’t work, then I’m afraid it’s something else. But a quick forum search my help you to solve the problem. If not then I’m sure another kind member will be along to help. 

good luck  :ok
Last edited by JeffRoo on 26 Jun 2020, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
84 Caravelle 1.9DG

UnsyP

Post by UnsyP »

That's exactly the diagram/picture I've been looking for, thank you. I thought about bridging out the switch, but have never done that before; and didn't really know how. Don't laugh...but wouldn't i get an electric shock? I had a look this morning, removed the lower front grill. I pulled the two wires from the switch; there is only 2 points to attach. Is that right?

JeffRoo

Post by JeffRoo »

Use an insulated piece of wire with the ends stripped, that way you will definitely not get a shock. Shouldn’t hurt anyway as it’s only 12 volts. 
if you have only 2 connections then it’s a single speed fan. Follow my directions in my previous post and hopefully that will get you up and running again... :ok
84 Caravelle 1.9DG

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

It’s 12v it won’t shock you ! 
but do remember that the fan is always live , it’s not affected by the key ! So make sure you know where your fingers are at all times when near it . Not that you will be anywhere able to get your fingers in it bridging the plug out for the switch . 

just make a contact between the two contacts on the plug you pull off the switch 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

UnsyP

Post by UnsyP »

Hey thanks to you all for your advice. I dont seem able to bridge succesfully...i'm getting nothing. Suppose ill try removing the earth crowns and clean them up.

Again please excuse the ignorance, the switch has the hexagonal brass peice and then a white plastic part which the two wires with spade connectors attach to. How much of this switch needs to come out? Or is it just a matter of bridging the two metal prongs?

JeffRoo

Post by JeffRoo »

You need to bridge the wires, probably hidden in the white connector, poke the wire into both holes at the same time. Same piece of wire just one end into one hole and the other end into the other hole :lol: . Bridging the brass prongs on the switch will produce nothing as it’s not connected electrically unless the piece with the wires is connected. 
84 Caravelle 1.9DG

UnsyP

Post by UnsyP »

Its not hidden. There are two wires with spade connectors that just slot straight on to open and visable connections. Its like its missing some sort of box.

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

this is the switch 
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/radiator-f ... speed.html

you need to bridge the wires that came off it when you pulled the plug

Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

UnsyP wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 16:56 Its not hidden. There are two wires with spade connectors that just slot straight on to open and visable connections. Its like its missing some sort of box.

Would you be able to post a picture of this - it looks like it might be a bit unconventional...
(i.e. someone might already have messed around with it)
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

UnsyP

Post by UnsyP »

Bridged the wires, fan working as it should! I'm guessing its just a new switch thats needed?

UnsyP

Post by UnsyP »

Struggling to upload photos; as i dont have any online with a URL. I've managed to bridge the wires and the fan kicks in and sounds good. Will it be the switch then that needs replacing?

Cheers

Paul

MidLifeCrisis wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 11:01
UnsyP wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 16:56 Its not hidden. There are two wires with spade connectors that just slot straight on to open and visable connections. Its like its missing some sort of box.

Would you be able to post a picture of this - it looks like it might be a bit unconventional...
(i.e. someone might already have messed around with it)