Radius rod Bush problem

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Davegrohl99
80-90 Mem No: 16802

Re: Radius rod Bush problem

Post by Davegrohl99 »

I used a breaker bar. I had been soaking the bolts since lockdown began but that was pointless as it turned out they were basically fused to the wishbone. I was able to get the bottom nuts off no problem.

I then tried tapping then up and down to try break the tension but we had to just take our loses and sheared the tips off cut the bottom of the bolt off and started drilling them out.

Luckily I was able to use lift otherwise it would have been an impossible task.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
1981 Westfalia 2.0 CU engine.
1971 Early Bay Microbus.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

It’s a bit late now but you can remove the whole hub and bottom arm and not undo those bolts at all or just the bottom arm, lever jack etc to get it back together

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

davidoft1 wrote:It’s a bit late now but you can remove the whole hub and bottom arm and not undo those bolts at all or just the bottom arm, lever jack etc to get it back together
Yeah that's my plan b, though it might be plan A soon :-) I'm changing the lower track arm bushes anyway, so maybe that's the way to go. I just don't want to lose the front springs out of place since I really hated putting those in last time.
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Davegrohl99
80-90 Mem No: 16802

Post by Davegrohl99 »

Just a quick update.

Got it laser tracked today and my god the difference is incredible. I feel like it can take a corner now and its driving as straight as an arrow.

Must say its worth the money and effort and really improves the drive ability of the van!

1981 Westfalia 2.0 CU engine.
1971 Early Bay Microbus.

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Davegrohl99 wrote:Just a quick update.

Got it laser tracked today and my god the difference is incredible. I feel like it can take a corner now and its driving as straight as an arrow.

Must say its worth the money and effort and really improves the drive ability of the van!

Well done and thanks for reporting back. :ok Always good to read a happy ending
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Yeah great to hear. Makes the pain of drilling those bolts out a distant memory ay :-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Phil D
80-90 Mem No: 17306

Post by Phil D »

Hi, I was going to start a new thread but have been reassured and now realise how lucky I have been in dismantling my front suspension. I had replaced all the bushes and ball joints and waiting for the steering knuckles to come back with the lower ball joints pressed in by my local garage. The radius rod bushes looked OK and there was evidence of a recent repair so was going to leave them.

Having given it some thought it decided to buy a kit from Brickwerks and replace them. Good job I did as the repair was a bodge job! Inner and outer bushes were installed the wrong way round and the mount had only been patched on the side you can see. Radius rod has some damage but with a new sleeve looks like it might be OK.
ImageImageImage

First thoughts were weld the old washer to reinforce the outer face of the mount and open up the hole to allow the spigot on the bush. Then realised the outer bush needs a flat face to bear against so looks like I will have to fabricate an outer patch which is what should have been done when repaired previously. Existing patch looks really thin about 1mm was going to use 2mm for the new patch but then saw a post from Steve Baxter where the discussion concluded that three 2.5mm layers are required!
Anything I do will be better than what is there but advice would be appreciated. Also advice on scrapping or keeping the old radius rod?
1981 VW T25 Westfalia Joker camper 2.0l Aircooled 4 speed
Rust never sleeps :|

2016 VW T6 Calivelle 204PS DSG