Radius rod Bush problem

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Davegrohl99
80-90 Mem No: 16802

Radius rod Bush problem

Post by Davegrohl99 »

Hi I have a 1981 Westfalia.

Have had a look under the van today to see what bushes I need. Had a look at the radius rod bush and I'm thinking it might have sawn itself down through the hole. The rubber looks like it's never been changed.

If I do go about changing this and find a lovely enlarged hole what are my options?

I dont want to be in a position of taking it asunder seeing this problem and not know what to do

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
1981 Westfalia 2.0 CU engine.
1971 Early Bay Microbus.

Davegrohl99

Re: Radius rod Bush problem

Post by Davegrohl99 »

See attached pictures ImageImageImage

1971 Early Bay Microbus.

Dobble
80-90 Mem No: 15944

Post by Dobble »

I guess the best thing to do would be to strip it and assess it. Repair panels are available https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/body-panel ... -left.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Check out James Akers video blog first. Very helpful. And Itchyfeet's itchylink on here of course.
Just done mine and they were a mess, and as Dobble (alright Ben :ok ) posts, only taking apart will really tell condition.
However, look for swelling of metal rust where bushes meet mounts on chassis. Not a good sign. Your's look fairly okay from here , though. Release the 27mm outer nut nearest spare wheel well and take a peek. Count the number of exposed threads first so nut can go back on to same tension. Post photos of your findings. Here to help :ok
If you go ahead spend plenty of time cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, and lubricating rod threads with oil, as the inner nut will need to go right to the end to remove rod. And the rod's thread in the hub will be rusted to bugger. Invest in two quality 27mm combination spanners aswell.

Good luck
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

This was the nearside. Mobile welder got it back to shape for the bush to fit perfectly. Only cost £60

MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Whoops! Sorry. Just seen your van is 1981. So the radius rods are bolted to axle hub.
Lubricate and lubricate more with penetrating oil.
MaxStu

Dobble

Post by Dobble »

Was your welder able to build the hole back up Stuart? I couldn't believe how much material had been worn away :shock:
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Spend some time dosing the rod end in the lower arm with “plusgas” too, cheaper alternatives are not as good.
Tricky to remove the rod even so. Plenty of guidance on here when you get to that stage.
E D I T
Sorry, forget all that. I made the same mistake.

But still plusgas is the business
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Dobble wrote:Was your welder able to build the hole back up Stuart? I couldn't believe how much material had been worn away :shock:

Yep! He took it back to bare metal. Then added weld until hole was correct size. Then ground back either side to correct thickness. Took him about an hour.
Only one side needed doing though. I didnt photograph though. Im on a mate's drive and told him l'd only take three days...eight days ago :shock: so l wanted to crack on with rebuild of front end. I did photo good side as l was tightening new bush though. It cleaned up fairly well. Rustcure, undercoat and two top coats in black.
Sorry about poor photo. Wrists' are giving me grief at mo.

Last edited by maxstu on 15 Apr 2020, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
MaxStu

Davegrohl99

Post by Davegrohl99 »

Being bolted to the hub will that make it a trickier job for me to do or is it similar to the video linked

1971 Early Bay Microbus.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Davegrohl99 wrote:Being bolted to the hub will that make it a trickier job for me to do or is it similar to the video linked

Depends on condition of bolts. They can snap. But the rods are often welded by rust to hub.....getting the offside radius rod out of hub was very challenging on my van by the way. I used a blow torch to release it and in turn toasted the lower ball joint...now also replaced. Lubrication, heat and a rattle gun may be the answer for early vans.
I have a pair of early arms and rods lm willing to sell for a fair price if it goes pear shape for you.
Put up some photos of bolts.
MaxStu

Dobble

Post by Dobble »

Looks good Stuart :ok

I didn't remove the radius rod from the wishbone when I done mine, I took the wishbone and the radius rod off as one. Mine's a Syncro though so is probably different. It also doesn't have the hex to unscrew the radius rod. Maybe removing the wishbone could be an option for the OP if hes worried about snapping the radius rod bolts? I'm not sure on the setup on 2wd vans though so might not be an option.
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Dobble wrote:Looks good Stuart :ok

I didn't remove the radius rod from the wishbone when I done mine, I took the wishbone and the radius rod off as one. Mine's a Syncro though so is probably different. It also doesn't have the hex to unscrew the radius rod. Maybe removing the wishbone could be an option for the OP if hes worried about snapping the radius rod bolts? I'm not sure on the setup on 2wd vans though so might not be an option.

True Ben, OP option is to remove disc rotor, then upright from wishbone, track rod end, drop link and unbolt lower control arm on each side. Heavy bit of gear to move about though. But least one can work on a bench. Yet l considered doing same when offside rod just would not come loose...even with a trolley jack under open end 27mm spanner. Heat did it finally
MaxStu

Davegrohl99

Post by Davegrohl99 »

So finally got to the day of reckoning.

This is what I have uncovered. I was able to get the passenger side rod out to reveal this lovely. Drivers side seems to be in good condition.

The plan for tomorrow is to build up a bit of weld to reshape the hole file it back and hopefully it should be fine.

It finally explains the horrendous wear on my tyres even after tracking.Image

1971 Early Bay Microbus.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

What's the condition of the bushes? The one's l removed were terrible. It didnt have any raised collar on one bush. So the see-sawing back and forth caused same wear as in your photo.
To be honest l paid a mobile welder £60 to do the job. He did an excellent repair. Yet l wish l had tackled it myself.
Downside is van will need toe in/out resetting.
MaxStu