Suspension Upgrade Recommendations - Caravelle

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fadeawayfast
80-90 Mem No: 17104

Suspension Upgrade Recommendations - Caravelle

Post by fadeawayfast »

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade the suspension (front / rear) on my Carvelle. It used to be a 9 seater but now only has 2 seats up front, I would say the weight from the old seating arrangement is simular to the roof rack / awning that is now fitted. Inside I have a wooden unit and seating area in the back, quite minimal. So possibly a little more weight than originally along with the centre of gravity would be higher with all the bits on the roof of course.

Spotted that one of the front springs has snapped at the bottom so that needs replacing now.

Not looking to go low or lift it up (would be nice, but feel that introduces a bunch of other issues) so keeping it standard height. I see a lot of springs mention being -30 to -70mm lower, not too sure what this relates to. Would caravelles be lower due to them being 'passenger' vehicles originally?

So do I just replace with standard springs from Brickwerks (https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/s ... -30mm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) or Go Westy (no lift) from CVC or something else.

Looking for springs & dampers (Bilstein B6 or B8??) / full kit if possible.

Thanks
Peter
1985 RHD 1.9 Twin Slider Caravelle C DG engine
SE London

https://www.instagram.com/sometimesvans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Suspension Upgrade Recommendations - Caravelle

Post by R0B »

If you want to keep the same setup go for the Brickwerks -30 ones.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Post by Dubworth »

-30mm combined with Bilstein B4 is a nice slightly upgraded setup at a decent price, I certainly noticed a good difference. I imagine the B6 would be a fantastic shock if you want a little stiffer and sportier feel.
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF

fadeawayfast

Post by fadeawayfast »

Thanks Rob & Dubworth

So a set of these: https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/s ... -30mm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and possibly a set of the B8 dampenders which seem to be a middle ground between the B4 / B6 Sport.

Now to find all the correct bolts and other bits..

Does anyone know where these diagrams (as an example) are taken from? So I can find out what all the part numbers are.

SE London

https://www.instagram.com/sometimesvans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JackE
80-90 Mem No: 12479

Post by JackE »

Hi, I don't know anything about suspension upgrades but use this for parts diagrams but there may be better sources: https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/typ+ ... 2/1988-78/
1.9 DG petrol and open loop LPG Autosleeper Hightop. 1988

fadeawayfast

Post by fadeawayfast »

Thanks so much Jack! Just what I was looking for 8)
SE London

fadeawayfast

Post by fadeawayfast »

So I went for a set of Eibach 30mm Springs and Bilstein B8 shocks front & rear from Brickwerks, ordered on Monday morning and arrived Wednesday morning.

Spent a little time this evening working on the rears. Very simple and first time i've done the job, around 20 mins at most each side.

Old shocks had seen better days for sure.

The springs I had on there look pretty simular to the new set, I think these were replaced on the first MOT I had with the van nearly 4 years ago.

Also had the trailing arm top mounts welded as they had rotted through pretty good on top. Looks like that job is holding out

Any recommendations on a rubber / plastic disc for the bottom, I see Brickwerks do one but doesn't look to dissimilar to the home made rubber version I have now

So final result I think it is maybe a couple of cm's lower but i'm guessing the speed bump sagginess will be wayyy less. Even the short drive I did after fitting it all felt a lot stiffer. Now onto the fronts at the weekend, not looking forward to removing those big old 22mm bolts from inside the front

After:

Before:
SE London

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Nice job. Takes about 500 miles to settle I find so don’t be surprised if they feel a little stiff at first.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

4 years isn't very old for your old back springs, so you could maybe sell them on for some more van parts [WINKING FACE]
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

fadeawayfast

Post by fadeawayfast »

slowcoach wrote:4 years isn't very old for your old back springs, so you could maybe sell them on for some more van parts [WINKING FACE]

Yeah they looked in great condition, at the time I had them replaced I have very little idea what the garage was sticking on there or where they got them from. Will check the receipts and if I can get more details on them. Always good to carry a spare set around hey :D

I have a full set of 9 Caravelle seats in the garage, with the thought that 'one day, maybe i'll need them...' haha
SE London

fadeawayfast

Post by fadeawayfast »

So today I tackled the fronts, went pretty smoothly but took along longer than the rears but there is alot more going on up front so that takes sense.

Passenger side the spring had snapped one whole coil so that made removal a little simpler. Spring compressors from Screwfix for £20 did the job well.

Old v New. New set are a thicker gauge and a little shorter in height, compared to the rears that were very much the same height wise.

Old shocks could be compressed completely by hand

A comparison of the Powerflex Bump stops along side the originals

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/s ... rflex.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everything back in place. I struggled for ages without removing the lower drop link, should have done this from the start as it gives you the extra room needed to get the compressed spring in.

I would say if you were adding lift springs then there would need to be more taken off, possibly brake calipers. Saying that i'm sure it would have made my life easier also :roll:

Next job is the top ball joints, as one has been banging for a while and pretty much every other nut, bolt or bushing has been changed this winter so thats my last hope. Any suggestions on a good tool for ball joint removal would be useful.
SE London

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Post by mariner »

How have you found the B8s? Replaced my springs (put in -50 avo) about a year or ago and went for the B4 shocks. Big improvement on the rubbish that was in there but still a bit too much up and down for me on A and B roads so thinking about forking out for the B8s.
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

fadeawayfast

Post by fadeawayfast »

mariner wrote:How have you found the B8s? Replaced my springs (put in -50 avo) about a year or ago and went for the B4 shocks. Big improvement on the rubbish that was in there but still a bit too much up and down for me on A and B roads so thinking about forking out for the B8s.

I've not done too many miles with them on just yet but they are definitely a lot stiffer than the ones I had before but that's not saying much as the old ones were completely dead. But way less see-sawing over speed bumps compared to before. Wish i had used them with the old springs for a while to see how they compared also
SE London

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Post by mariner »

Ta. Mine are being posted today so hopefully get them on in the next couple of weeks. Will update once on.
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Tyre pressures also matter. After fitting my B8’s, I settled at 32psi rear, 30psi front, with warm tyres (30 min drive).
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic