Make Autosleeper Great Again

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Fugeh
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Make My Van Great Again

Post by Fugeh »

Off topic but fancied a cheer me up photo. Texel island - Netherlands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
88 Autosleeper Trident 1.9
Hythe, Kent.

Autosleeper_rich

Re: Make Autosleeper Great Again

Post by Autosleeper_rich »

I have an auto sleeper hightop aswell, 1989.

I can relate to this, it also scares the crap out of me that there is going to be more things waiting to be found!

how are you getting on with it?
89 1.9 WBX
64 Lambretta LI150

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Post by mm289 »

Hey Fugeh,

they look like all the normal places for a T25 or AS to rust so at least its "normal". I got someway into restoring a Trident Hardtop a few years back but life took over so it is still a part finished project :shock:

If you want to look at some of the early repairs there is a thread over on the archive here https://archive.club8090.co.uk/archive/ ... 900f560ed7 - the biggest repairs were to the roof where the rivets had been fitted and rusted out the entire section above the a-posts. If you haven't had your roof of yet then lookout for these.

You will find the same problem at the rear.

The floor under the fridge panel is also a classic rot area as are jacking points, steps and battery box.

I am only up the other side of Hawkinge so if you ever want to look at another one to compare anything let me know. Mine is completely stripped out at the moment and hiding in a tent :oops:

Don't get on here often at the momenbt so PM me if you want to check anything.

Cheers,

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

Fugeh

Post by Fugeh »

Autosleeper_rich wrote:I have an auto sleeper hightop aswell, 1989.

I can relate to this, it also scares the crap out of me that there is going to be more things waiting to be found!

how are you getting on with it?

Rich,

I'm moving it forward everyday, a good portion of the under seal it removed now so I can concentrate on welding. It's a very messy business! Have started welding now. Logic is to start on the easier stuff and build my confidence up.

I'll get some more pictures and an update post up, albeit it'll probably be quite underwhelming.
Hythe, Kent.

randolph57
80-90 Mem No: 5801

Post by randolph57 »

I can relate to all these problems and the nightmares they generate! I have my fathers Autosleeper hightop -acquired for use for my daughters after parents became too old to drive/camp.
i have similar issues to those you've highlighted and after replacing the rear jacking mounts and addressing the structural issues associated I'm now at the front offside jacking point. After a previous bodge repair and plating over several years ago the jacking point was generally 'floating in the air :shock:
I'm just going to attempt to get some strength back in that area but hate having to surgically remove good metal to get at all the bad!
If only my dad had waxoyled it once or twice in the vans life it might have fared better. I reckon i would have to go round replacing all panels a la a T2 but just need it sound for use should restrictions be lifted any time soon.

In the meantime I feel your pain.

Chris

Fugeh

Post by Fugeh »

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Repairs so far:

LHS footwell
LHS battery tray
LHS support bracket to battery tray/seat
RHS Battery box
RHS Breather tank panel and floor to breather panel fillet piece

Nearly completed the RHS rear window surround and section which holds the non-sliding door cover. Just awaiting some new metal as want to use a 'factory' edge rather than offcuts.

Parts awaiting fitting:

Cargo floor - small repairs
RHS front arch
RHS Inner Sill
RHS B post repair
Windscreen repair and new rubber.

I've made pretty good progress getting off the bitumen underseal that was added by the previous seller and also the factory white mastic to arches. I have been grinding back the best I can so I can get some good clean welds. I must have put 25hours into this at least. I've been treating this as I go with Hydrate 80 and Bilthammer zinc primer.

Other jobs underway - fuel tank is removed and new one is painted and ready to be fitted.
Brought a set of 15' mefros - not sure that was the most urgent replacement but they were a good deal and got to meet another 8090er who kindly dropped them off and give some good advice.
Front seats are being reupholstered by my better half, she's currently making the seat patterns up and is pretty handy with an angle grinder/metal fabrication which is nice.

List of repairs/rust found to date

Trailing arms and 'inside' mounts.
Sliding door rail
The engine bay is completely rotten - the most concerning area for me at the moment.
Rear chassis leg filler plates are toast too.
Both steps
Rear arch internal section (panel previously replaced) was just full of filler so I will take these off to rebuild the arch to the panel.
Roof front and rear
Tailgate pillars
The 'bumps' where the internal trailing arm mounts attach
RHS middle panel
Window surrounds
Front windscreen repair
Rear valance looks pretty grotty.

I'm concentrating on the RHS for the moment and will work my way around the van. I'm quite new to welding so I'm building up my skills prior to starting on anything more important/structural. I need to order a RHS middle panel lower seal - but the general panel is so rotten in the seams and has a huge filler repair that I'm considering going for a half-height panel instead.

Progress feels slow but I work on it every day so I must be chipping away. I'll post some pictures up.
Hythe, Kent.

Fugeh

Post by Fugeh »

Can only upload a single picture at a time via the app so have collated a few pictures.

RHS rear window repair. I made a meal out of this by not removing the window to begin with so ended cutting back into my new metal. This also caused problems as the metal under the seal was so thin it warped but managed to get it straight in the end. Initially I thought I’d do the reveal to the window last but should have started with that first.

Hythe, Kent.

Fugeh

Post by Fugeh »

Please excuse my dodgy jacking I’ve got a sloping drive.

I remade the angle price to bridge the chassis in the end.

Hythe, Kent.

Fugeh

Post by Fugeh »

Engine bay issues/fillet plate rust and trailing arm. Same on both sides.

Hythe, Kent.

Fugeh

Post by Fugeh »

RHS rear window before replacement.

Hythe, Kent.

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

Good work, nice to see you putting in the time and effort to restore your van. Its unbelievable what some previous owners will do to sell a van :shock:
1983 DG Kamper 2

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Post by 100leelee »

Keep going....!
My van was the same, lots and lots of repairs, but now on the home straight.
You will get there, just takes a while !!

Fugeh

Post by Fugeh »

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Removed a brand new rear panel yesterday to fix the back of the pillar, battery box, wheel arch and internal skin. It appears Autosleeper removed the internal structure to fit the shore power. Strange.

Hythe, Kent.

Fugeh

Post by Fugeh »

In retrospect doing the window surround in small parts was a terrible idea as it took absolutely ages and I lost the profile of the window where some sections of the repair started to bow in. I don’t have a metal bender so contacted a local fabrication shop who kindly made up a long enough section for me to do it one piece.

Chalk that one up to some welding experience and a lesson learnt.

Just need to grind down the welds and fill a couple of pin holes and the window surround is done. Image

Hythe, Kent.

Fugeh

Post by Fugeh »

A couple of small repair pieces made up for the inside above the rear jacking point

Hythe, Kent.