Crankcase pully

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Crankcase pully

Post by sarahandthebear »

Any tips for getting the crankcase pully bot offa 1.9 dg early van? I have tried putting the van in a low gear and pulling the belt as tight as possible whilst jamming the gear with a screwdriver but it just keeps rotating. any advice or tips would be very welcome :ok
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Crankcase pully

Post by itchyfeet »

assuming single pulley M8 bolt into flywheel through access hole left hand side of engine as you look at it, you need to rotate the engine to find a hole on flywheel. Don't forget to remove it before starting engine ( been there done that :oops: )

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

sarahandthebear

Thanks itchy that's brilliant advice. So putting a bolt in there will stop it rotating when trying to undo this bolt at the front? I'm so worried about braking something on the van but I have to fix this oil leak so I have to learn. As for retightening it is there any tips for making sure it's tight enough. I have only just bought a 30mm spanner for the job

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

30mm spanner? if you mean a ring spanner then that's OK but don't use an open ended spanner.

it's 60NM so you need a torque wrench or you need to measure the spanner length do some maths and put an equivalent load on the end, so a 1m spanner is 6KG on the end
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

sarahandthebear

Yeah a 30mm spanner with a ring on one end its a big old thing. Humm I'm guessing using the half end is not good then dose it round the bolt head? Looks like I need to add some tools to my set if I get the wrong tourque putting it back on are we talking very bad for the engine because I really don't want to fluff that up. I have the water pump to do as well so maybe I'll do that first. I'm guessing the same method of jamming the water pump pully and taking off the three bolts

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-to ... x-18/6879v" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

water pump use two spanners on two bolts and one of the bolts will come undone, then refit a longer bolt in that hole so that the pump won't turn and then the other two come loose, same on refitting but the last bolt in place of the longer one just do it as tight as possible.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks