1Y engine help

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JustGavin
80-90 Mem No: 0

1Y engine help

Post by JustGavin »

Here goes

A good friend has fitted a 1y engine into my 87 vw caravelle. Engine was out of a 2007 vw caddy with 60000 on the clock. All filters and belts replaced before fitting.

I have scrolled day and night looking for information regarding the issue I have but can't find a solution.

So here we go.

Starts first time every time and running perfectly until you give it a few revs..... If the van is started and left for 10 mins all is well but if you start it and give it a few revs 10,15,20 seconds after start it begins to shack quite badly, the more you rev the worst it gets. Once it has started shacking, if it is left to run in this state then after about 5 mins it runs perfectly???

Help please.
I am a super beginner to engines swaps and realy would like to learn more so you guys are where I'm at.

Cheers
Vw T25 1988 caravelle (orange)
1.9 1Y engine conversion.

South wales

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: 1Y engine help

Post by clift_d »

First things first. Stick some details about your location and your van on your signature - it helps people respond to your queries.

I’m assuming from your post that this is happening even if the van is stationary, which would rule out things like damaged CV joints, bent axles, unbalanced tyres, loose hub nuts, etc. I’m also assuming your engine mounts are okay, and you’ve got the correct amount of the right kind of mineral or semi-synthetic 15W40 oil in the engine.

I’m no expert, and have only a fraction of the knowledge of some on here, but it sounds to me like your engine is knocking due to some kind of timing issue. Either the pump timing is off possibly due to something slipping during the installation, or the timing issue arises from clogged or worn injectors not squirting at the correct pressure and so shifting the timing in one or more cylinders as a result.

Try getting your timing checked in the first instance, perhaps with a new timing belt fitted if that wasn’t done at install. If that doesn’t work then maybe think about getting your injectors serviced.

Good luck with it.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

JustGavin

Post by JustGavin »

Ok cool thanks for the advice clift_d, I'll check that all put and get back to you.
A new timing belt was fitted bit it has ben slipping a bit, checked tension and that's fine??

South wales

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

1Y engine help

Post by clift_d »

I don’t know whether it applies to the 1Y, but with the JX you need to ensure you rotate the tensioner wheel in the correct direction to tension the belt. If you rotate it the wrong way it seems like it is working correctly to tension the belt, but you will have problems with the way the belt tracks while running.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Basics first:
Cold start applied?
Glow plugs all working?
Something very wrong if the cambelt ( timing belt ) was slipping. If it has slipped has it been re-timed correctly?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

JustGavin wrote: Starts first time every time and running perfectly until you give it a few revs..... If the van is started and left for 10 mins all is well but if you start it and give it a few revs 10,15,20 seconds after start it begins to shake quite badly, the more you rev the worst it gets. Once it has started shaking, if it is left to run in this state then after about 5 mins it runs perfectly.

I agree with the other replies here, that is to check the simple things first, like timing and injectors.

Having said that, I had these exact symptoms when I first bought my van. It was totally mystifying until I eventually found out the cause.

It turned out to be a loose exhaust valve seat, which had started rotating and ground its way into the alloy head. This continued until all the clearance at the valve end had been used up. At that stage there wasn't any force grinding the seat into the head any more, so the recessing stopped, but now zero valve clearance.

When starting from cold, if the engine is revved a bit, the valve stem heats up quickly and expands so the valve won't seat, and the engine misfires. After a few minutes the head warms up and expands, and the valve will close once more, so the misfire stops. If the engine is left to idle from cold, the exhaust valve stems and head casting both warm up slowly, so the valve will be able to seat properly.

With hydraulic tappets, it is tricky to diagnose without removing the cylinder head. If the engine is left overnight, you should be able to slip a thin feeler gauge between the cam and exhaust valve tappet after putting a bit of pressure on the tappet for a few minutes. The bad valve will have more or less zero clearance. Or remove the cam, and the bad valve will be sticking up further than the other exhaust valves.

My engine was a CS engine with solid tappets and shims, but I suppose this could also happen to a hydraulic tappet once all the gap had been used up.

I hope there's a simple answer to your problem, but if not you might want to consider this.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

er 2007 Caddy 1Y engine ? I don't think so, last 1Y was 2001 in the Polo, so is that a typo ? 2007 caddy had 2.0 SDi or 1.9 TDi engine I think

Oldiebut goodie

According to etka vag engines list 1Y was used in the Caddy until 2003, Mine was from a 1998 Caddy.
Last 1Y engines used:
1Y ....05/02-03/06 PARATI DIESEL
&
1Y .... 06/02-03/06 SAVEIRO DIESEL
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

JustGavin

Post by JustGavin »

Aiden you are right, apologies for that guys the engine was out of a caddy 1997.

So I loosened off the fuel injectors when the engine was running in its wobbly banning stage on first start and 3 of them had an effect but 1 did nothing?? So I'm assuming this will need replacing or refurb?

I worked out that it was the auxiliary belt making the squeaking noise so I have sorted it. Timibelt belt has been checked and it's all spot on.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I'll be posting a few images here soon regarding some cables I have on the engine that I know nothing about so hopefully you can advise me on what they are.

Thank for the help

South wales

colinthefox

Post by colinthefox »

JustGavin wrote: 3 of them had an effect but 1 did nothing

That means that the problem is on the one cylinder, and not the others. So it can't be a timing problem, as that would affect all four. It is extremely unlikely to be the injection pump, as rotary pumps treat all cylinders equally.

JustGavin wrote:I'm assuming this will need replacing or refurb?

You could swap the injector with one from a good cylinder. If the injector is bad the problem will move to the other cylinder, in which case it will need refurbishing. If the problem stays where it is then it's something else gone bad. I've never known an injector behave in this way (going bad in a regular predictable fashion), so I think your problem may be elsewhere. It's beginning to look more like the valve problem I mentioned previously.

JustGavin

Post by JustGavin »

Right it's been a while but I have been struggling to sort this issue out.
Firstly I sorted the injector and that is all good now bit the engine is still doing the misfire thing on start.
Since I posted here last the van has been with a local garage that I have used for years. They were convinced it was a fuel issue, I wasn't convinced as I have looked into this and all is well.
They changed the oil filter and oil to see if that helped but no luck.

Like I said I'm kind of learning as I go so I apologise now for my vagueness and lack of knowledge.

I'm getting desperate now as I fear the worst.

Colinthefox explained that he had similar problems and what he has explained sound like the exact issues I'm trying to explain. If it is what he thinks regarding the exhaust seat is that a big job to do?

Is there anyone in south wales you guys could recommend to me. I want to get a definitive answer regarding the issues before I waste more time and money on the engine.

Cheers

South wales

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

Could it be a misbehaving hydraulic lifter?
We’re all the glow plugs found to be working?

colinthefox

Post by colinthefox »

JustGavin wrote:
Colinthefox explained that he had similar problems and what he has explained sound like the exact issues I'm trying to explain. If it is what he thinks regarding the exhaust seat is that a big job to do?

I still think the exhaust valve seat may be your problem.

You know now which cylinder is at fault. It's the one where slackening the injector pipe made no difference.

To diagnose for sure....................

Remove the cam cover. Rotate the engine until the cam opens the exhaust valve on one of the good cylinders. Leave the engine in that position for several hours, enough time for the oil to squidge out of the hydraulic tappet. Then rotate the engine until that same cam lobe that was opening the exhaust valve is pointing away from the tappet. You should be able to slip a thin feeler gauge between the cam and tappet. Then try exactly the same procedure for the exhaust valve on the faulty cylinder. I think you will find that you can't slip even a thin feeler between cam and tappet. That indicates that the valve has recessed into the cylinder head and closed up the gap.

If that does prove to be your problem, you will need a new cylinder head, gaskets, cam belt, tensioner and crank pulley bolts as a minimum.

If that is not your problem, then I can't suggest anything else I'm afraid.

JustGavin

Post by JustGavin »

Quick question guys.

Would over filling the oil give the symptom I have been experiencing with the engine?

I had the oil done a few months back by a friend but wasn't convinced he had used the right waight oil so rather than take a risk I replaced the filter and oil yesterday (4.5 litres) is what I read on here but have found that i don't get a reading on the dipstick?

The dipstick is the original red handle one that come with the 1y and I believe has been fitted correctly. Any advice.

Bloody hell.... I checked the oil level just this minute and still no reading but I haven't started the van in 10 days, just started it now and gave it a few revs and it runs lovely??? :D :D :D

No snacking or misfiring at all. So this may have been a cover filling issue with the oil and the calibration on the dipstick being incorrect.

Thoughts

South wales

Oldiebut goodie

You cannot use the original 1Y dipstick. Presumably you followed the guide? https://club8090.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=107034
Last edited by Oldiebut goodie on 17 Dec 2020, 16:19, edited 2 times in total.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶