Rust prevention 1988 2.1dj

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

LewisMac
80-90 Mem No: 16637

Rust prevention 1988 2.1dj

Post by LewisMac »

Hey, I’ve had my van for just over a year and drive her at least twice a week.

Starting to notice rust in the seams and other usual places which I’m planning on getting sorted but just wondering how you guys keep your vehicles from rusting?

I know the window seals are letting in water so will need to get onto it.

How do you stop it from rusting from the inside out?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Rust prevention 1988 2.1dj

Post by RogerT »

The sad truth is that if you’re noticing rust appearing on the seams, it’s already rusted from the inside out. Put some photos up?

If rear arch seams, see off you can pull the internal panels below the rear most windows enough to peek down to the inside part of the seam. Look behind your fridge.

Don’t get too upset, they are all like that unless imported from a desert. There’s various ways to deal with it. Time and complexity are rewarded by longevity. The only sure fire way is cutting out rust and welding good metal in. It is pretty complex, can take a long time, can cost a bomb unless you like a challenge, and you have to stop the new metal rusting before you finish.

You can simply wire wheel the seam rust from the outside and paint over. Vactan is reckoned to be the best chemical treatment.

Spend time reading threads on here. Good luck.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

LewisMac
80-90 Mem No: 16637

Post by LewisMac »

RogerT wrote:The sad truth is that if you’re noticing rust appearing on the seams, it’s already rusted from the inside out. Put some photos up?

If rear arch seams, see off you can pull the internal panels below the rear most windows enough to peek down to the inside part of the seam. Look behind your fridge.

Don’t get too upset, they are all like that unless imported from a desert. There’s various ways to deal with it. Time and complexity are rewarded by longevity. The only sure fire way is cutting out rust and welding good metal in. It is pretty complex, can take a long time, can cost a bomb unless you like a challenge, and you have to stop the new metal rusting before you finish.

You can simply wire wheel the seam rust from the outside and paint over. Vactan is reckoned to be the best chemical treatment.

Spend time reading threads on here. Good luck.

Sounds like a plan, cheers Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Lots of vans are resprayed to sell, and sadly almost impossible to remove the rust from seams. A year later it comes through.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks