DJ2.1 Auto to carb conversion

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

DJ2.1 Auto to carb conversion

Post by maxstu »

Finally decided my campers' Digijet system is not reliable enough for my liking. Have had a few cutting out issues lm unable to resolve. And despite testing nearly every item connected to the fuel injection system am unable to get any long term reliability. And yesterday was the final straw. Started the day with ultra smooth running in all types of traffic conditions. Stopped after 40miles to stretch the dogs legs. 30 minutes later started up and rough as hell running, cutting out and misfiring. Finally glt going after six restarts in 200 yards. Subsequently, a generally feeling of anxiousness whenever l drive out has led me to one conclusion.
Im ripping out everything associated with Digijet. Yet is there anything l should keep? Im fairly familiar with carb version. So am converting before adding LPG later this year or early next. And am after some advice regarding the following...
2E3 carb and manifold ready next week after carb rebuild. But being an autobox do l next a different throttle cable or linkage?
Heater wiring for carb? Just find 12volts in engine bay when ignition on?
Junk fuel filter and fuel pump and revert to mechanical version and appropiate fuel lines with little filter?
I understand the idle will need to be set slightly higher to accommodate for PAS and ABS. Or is there an alternative lm unaware of?
Running DJ dizzy is okay?
What else please?
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: DJ2.1 Auto to carb conversion

Post by Mocki »

You need a different throttle cable anyway to swap from FI to Carb , the auto has a different linkage to manual, but I’m not familiar with its details ......

The DJ dissy can stay , and the timing can stay at 10° as long as you use premium petrol when not on lpg.
Go with a electric fuel pump, use the existing wiring that your injection pump used, mount the pump in the same place by the tank with a inline filter tween the tank and pump .
When you have fitted the lpg you can use the lpg brain to switch the petrol pump via relay

Don’t worry about the PAS , mine didn’t cause any issues when I junked the injection .
You will need a non injection air filter box, but you can sell yours with the AFM for £

The manifold heater will need wiring up via the temp switch ( you just remove your "temp2" sender and swap to a switch , wired via a relay from the 12v stud in the black box , the carb heater and choke take a ignition switched live from the coil pos .

Ideally you need to get the engine bay loom from a DG and it’s all done .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

1.9 DG Carb 2e3 itchyinfo

this link under fuel pump section
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=166418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Thanks to both. I could probably make loom for carb etc myself.
Would prefer to go mechanical fuel pump as l have a new one in store. Plus saves buying new electric pump and relay. And another piggy back relay for controlling Petrol/LPG.
Not found any useful information for throttle linkage yet.
Auto Digi to auto carb? Photos or links please.

Regards
Stuart
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Has anyone got a clear and close up picture showing carb with auto cable or linkage?
In Haynes manual an exploded diagram shows a different cable end and mounting plate for autobox and carb. Yet to find anything remotely like it for sale at Bricky, JK or VW Heritage.
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Brixalot has the only auto on a carb I can think of , all the others are 2.1 inj that I can bring to mind ...
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Cheers Steve,
Im in dialogue with Kentishvanman at the mo. He's running Auto carb LPG too. Waiting for some photos from him. Plus he's in my area of Kent
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu

Cobra88
80-90 Mem No: 16481

Post by Cobra88 »

Hi Stu

Hope your going to do a how to for the wiki as i too will be converting not long behind ;)

Rick

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Cobra88 wrote:Hi Stu

Hope your going to do a how to for the wiki as i too will be converting not long behind ;)

Rick

Hello Rick,
Ive been told by the love of my life lve not got the experience nor the technical know how to fit entire system. Nor a place to jack up camper for the work underneath. :oops: Beside's the other half has made it perfectly clear she's not happy about holidaying in a travelling timebomb because of my Gemini jack of all trades and master of none :run
So the generous girl has agreed to give me half the money for AN EXPERT to fit LPG. Gift horse..mouth..comes to mind.
So l said in jest l could take your (Maxine's) money, get the LPG fitted, then dump you! Her answer? The cash aside...you would be doing me a favour! :roll:
Love her to bits....
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu