T25 Trident 1991

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JonathanR
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: T25 Trident 1991

Post by JonathanR »

mm289 wrote:Well doen - take encouragement from the fact that:
a) you have done far more than me and most do
b) you are getting to use the van as well :ok

Rust coming back is all down to the prep as you guessed. Can't remember if you covered this earlier but the little hand held shot blasters are great for seems and use glass or stone as the material not iron. If the rust has got between the spot welds that hold the panels together its a pain in the proverbials, all you can do is get it as clean as poss, treat with Hydrate 80 both sides and go from there.

Epoxy primer is great as it is impervious to water unlike normal primer so will stop more getting in but it can't stop the chemical reaction on stuff that is already there.

Its always a trade off with these between being pedantic and ending up rebuilding the thing or being pragmatic and keeping it on the road!

Rivnuts are great I find for all those captive nut situations :D

If the polisher is a rotary rather than DA be careful on new paint when polishing as they are quite aggressive.

Congrats on doing your windows yourself, I busted the n/s/r glass on mine trying - just dissolved in my hands - and cannot find a replacement anywhere as the rear side glass on the Autosleepers was bespoke to them :roll:

Cheers,

MM
Cheers MM. Encouragement appreciated. Correct balance between constantly working on all the jobs that always seem to crop up and using it is I suspect something we all have to resolve.
Yes have a shot blast gun and works well. I probably need to remove trim inside to get to some rust points and tackle from both sides.

All ready gouged some fresh paint from using too hard a sponge at an angle so have learnt my lesson. I hand Polish any new paint after a few weeks. Polisher is rotary but also have air da sander but my compressor struggles to run it which is why I have gone electric. Polish and compound at low speeds. Hard sponge when using compound and soft sponge to apply Polish. Fast speed with sheep on end for buffing. If I read it correct.

I was lucky with the windows and was also worried about damage when forcing rubber round glass with metal screwdriver. Sorry you were less fortunate. But good luck finding a replacement.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
1991 Auto Sleeper Trident High Top
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

Well I have decided not to be neaten by photobucket and will repopulate my thread with the photos. When I access my thread through tapatalk I can see the pictures. When I look at my thread through my desktop browser (firefox) I get the photobucket ransom demand.
can other people see the earlier photos through tapatalk?
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

I see them on Tapatalk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

Thanks Roger
I will still reload pictures so it works with out photobucket being involved. Can you see metalmickeys threads through tapatalk. I fail to load his work so can't check.
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

His stuff is all gone. :(
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

Not posted for a while. Will work back through time on jobs I have been doing.
Not restoration but most recent job was fitting a solar panel. Read all the excellent threads on the site. My main requirement was to keep my batteries topped up particularly since the leisure battery is close to needing replacement. Size of panel dictated by the roof space I was using. Company I used had stopped supplying a 40 Watt panel so went for 20. Not running a fridge so is just to keep all the technology charged. Have to say working very well. Leisure battery always above 12 volts. Hit 14 on one sunny day.
Running the wires through van was a pig and will have to tidy at some point. Need to stick or fix better to internal roof lining so less visible. Fitted the controller in a cupboard as all it has is a light to show charging so don't need to see it.
Glued to roof with double backed tape off ebay and then a bead of sikaflex around the edge. The wire entry through roof is wrong way round from an aesthetic and waterproofing perspective but wanted to keep the exposed wire to a minimum. Recently wild camped and worried about low hanging branches snagging the cable.
Want to find some screw threaded tube to protect hole in roof. Don't want water seeping into foam cavity.
20180704_065438.jpeg
20180704_065438.jpeg (51.39 KiB) Viewed 45642 times

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

Just doing tweaks at the moment, will have to go deeper soon as a few issues on bodywork and mechanicals. But need a bit more warmth.

In the meantime I’ve been replacing internal lights with LEDs. Certainly see the difference on battery drain.

Bought some LED strips to replace tubes in the two main cabin lights.

Stripped out all the workings, stuck in the two strips, and wired up to leisure battery. Much brighter and less drain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol