Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rob1927
80-90 Mem No: 11027

Re: Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Post by rob1927 »

Hello all, I’m currently in the process of fettling the rust on my van in preparation to Rust-Oleum combo colour it with a roller, I’ve just spoke to avenue coatings(I don’t work for them!) they’re gonna mix two X 2.5 litres of paint for me to the VW paint codes on my van(two tone blue) for 79 quid inc postage.(5% 8090 discount included in the 79 quid) They also told me that they’re now mixing CombiColor in aerosols to VW paint codes and they’ll be updating their website with details and prices soon.

Could be handy for awkward place and later touch ups etc

Cant wait to get to stuck in, cheers Ralph for starting this thread and everyone that has contributed.
Proud owner of my 1.6TD JX '89 Caravelle, other wise known as -'that which is usually broke'.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I found quite a few stockists will assist in this regard and one or two seem to be ok giving a small discount if you mention the thread or me.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Doing mine now. 2 coats below line and 1 coat above so so far and not too shabby although it was initially too runny and the drivers look looks a mess. With the high top do I need to remove the Autosleeper branding or can I just paint over it and put new stickers on top.
Honorary "Dave" 

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

Sir Brixalot wrote:Doing mine now. 2 coats below line and 1 coat above so so far and not too shabby although it was initially too runny and the drivers look looks a mess. With the high top do I need to remove the Autosleeper branding or can I just paint over it and put new stickers on top.

50/50 between peel them off and have it all super clean vs. having a clear guide where to stick the new ones!

Can they be rubbed down for good paint adhesion though? I'd err towards peeling them off for the better good of the paint job.
1986 2.1DJ on carb. panel van/Reimo camper / 1991 2.1MV Swedish syncro doka

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

So after 4 years since my last coat I'm looking to paint the van again. I've got some rust that needs dealing with, and a few harsh winters (and some particularly gnarly bird muck) have left paint flaking. I also know deep down my prep work last time was sloppy campared to the first time.

Firstly, does anyone have a good source of CURRENT Volkswagen/Audi RAL codes? My van is white upper and grey lower, but very basic combicolour standard. I would prefer the more exotic deep gunmetal/military grey and perlescent white currently sported on the VAG range! I know they won't be quite as deep and vibrant without the 5 coats of factory lacquer, but I can get close!

Secondly, and please forgive going over common ground, has anyone used the rattle cans of combi colour to get detailed coverage in awkward places before a more sweeping rollering?
1986 2.1DJ on carb. panel van/Reimo camper / 1991 2.1MV Swedish syncro doka

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

All rather ambitious. There are no RAL equivalents of VW colours, certainly not for the T25. You either have rustoleum mixed for you or settle for something close in RAL colours. You also can't roller any particulate-based paints like matt or flake without making a dogs dinner of it. Straight gloss is fine.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Dobble
80-90 Mem No: 15944

Post by Dobble »

chuckle-bus-tom wrote:So after 4 years since my last coat I'm looking to paint the van again. I've got some rust that needs dealing with, and a few harsh winters (and some particularly gnarly bird muck) have left paint flaking. I also know deep down my prep work last time was sloppy campared to the first time.

Firstly, does anyone have a good source of CURRENT Volkswagen/Audi RAL codes? My van is white upper and grey lower, but very basic combicolour standard. I would prefer the more exotic deep gunmetal/military grey and perlescent white currently sported on the VAG range! I know they won't be quite as deep and vibrant without the 5 coats of factory lacquer, but I can get close!

Secondly, and please forgive going over common ground, has anyone used the rattle cans of combi colour to get detailed coverage in awkward places before a more sweeping rollering?

We're in the process of rolling our van and found it much easier to spray the places you can't get in with the roller like around the door handles, window apertures, gutters etc. We are however painting the van in a standard Rustoleum colour which is available in tins or spray cans. If you find a company that mixes paint they might be able to put tinned pain into a spray can for you but you would have to get the viscosity right in order for it to spray correctly.

Hope this helps
Ben
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Post by T25Convert »

mikes.bus wrote:Hi, what an amazing thread, it may just have saved me driving around in a crappy looking van for years while I tried to find a way to fund a respray!

My main query is that mine is high top that has been bodged with filler to stop leaks (hasn't worked!) and both gutter rails have been filled with silicone of some description.
I'm going to clean the old sealant out and then get inside and use Silka to get a good waterproof seal and then I'm going to have to do something with the gutter rails so, when I paint my van (and I'm going to!) I'll be painting over filler and silicone/adhesive of some type. In light of this, should I use one of the rustoleum undercoats or, is the 3 in 1 paint suitable for what I need?

Cheers!

When I did mine I chopped all the sealant out the gutters, then painted, then sealed back over the top but neatly! That way the paint only has to stick to the metal, and the sealant to nice new shiny paint. I did try painting a small bit of sealant, but it doesn't take well.

Paint covers fillers just fine.
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

mek
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mek »

Hello
I have a two tone T25 that i want to roller paint with Rust-oleum. The norwegian supplier ask after Ral code or NCS code for my vw paint. Vw code LH1B bamboo yellow and L567 Ivory. I have read all 203 pages and know that some people have used this colour. Avenu coatings answer that it is no match with vw colours and Ral. Can any check their tins or cans for ral mix code.Thank Frode

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

What composition of seamsealer has been found to be overpaintable with Combicolor ? eg. applied in a thin bead along exterior panel joins.

I've found that Combicolor on top of cured Sikaflax 221 remains tacky, though previously I've had no such problems with other paints.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

Tiger seal overpainted on mine and was fine
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Paz

Post by Paz »

I just bought a single cab pickup for a project. I always find it the big dilemma early doors, original paint, or new paint? Another option has taken off the last couple of years tho, dipping or plastic paint spraying which seems an ideal situation for people like myself who likes a new look regularly whilst still being able to keep the original paint underneath. can probably spray the whole van for a few hundred quid and you don't need to be an 'ace' with the guns or have a 'lab'. So this will be something i will experiment with on this project.,

I have the wooden Westfalia flatbed on the back tho. Not sure what i am going to do with that yet.

themoneypit

Post by themoneypit »

Hey guys,

I'm new here & have a moneypit (rust bucket) AKA 1981 T25.
I was looking to purchase the painting DVD, but the link doesn't appear to be working anymore, is anybody able to help me with where it is now?

Thanks,

themoneypit

Post by themoneypit »

BUMP, for anyone that's able to point me in the right direction to buy the DVD.

Thanks

Dobble
80-90 Mem No: 15944

Post by Dobble »

Hi have you seem this article from the Wiki?

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Bo ... r_painting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro