JX td alternator drive belt issues

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rivage5
80-90 Mem No: 12481

JX td alternator drive belt issues

Post by rivage5 »

Hi All

I recently helped the brother-in-law seek out and buy a 1989 JX td powered T25 and all is good except that the van has an apetite for eating / destroying / loosing the alternator/water pump drive belt. To be fair the previous owner advised that it had been a problem and thought the alternator might be wrong and sure enough 200 miles later - 1 missing drive belt.

Is this a common issue?

The alternator is correct (correct part number and turns freely as does the water pump) - but looking down from the top of the engine the three pulleys don't appear to be quite in alignment or located in the same plane - making the belt wear on the middle pulley wich appears quite abrasive anyway ? (there is a pile of rubber debris on the water pump). i suspect thatthe flailing belt is also responsible for wearing a hole in the oil filler tube previously repaired with duck tape!

The alternator pulley appears to be ever so slightly closer to the back of the van than the others. For some reason the pivot bolt on the alternator (cylinder head side) seemed to be in the wrong way round (alen bolt end facing the front of the van?) and nut on the drive belt end with a tired looking washer on each end clamping it together. I reversed it and the Alen bolt end now sits in the recess in the bracket on the block (without a washer). I was also able to move the alternator back into alignment the same plane( well better anyway) by tightening up the adjustment bracket up quite tightly and then bolting the alternator to that.

it seemed to pull it back into alignment - but time will tell.

Can anyone offer any advice or am I missing something? he is hoping to go on a trip this weekend (now have three spare belts).

any suggestions well received

Regards

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Re: JX td alternator drive belt issues

Post by Porkscratching »

Hi rivave5, my van use to eat V belts but that was due to the crank pulley. I can't see in my minds eye what your setup is however if you PM me an email address I'll happily send some pics of my JX alternator set up.

Regards, Max
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

rivage5

Post by rivage5 »

Many thanks for the speedy reply. Any images you have will be a help - much apreciated - you have PM.

cheers.

Cecil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Cecil »

Have a look to see if the crankshaft pulley is running true whilst engine is running.
On some / (all ? )models v pulley I believe has a rubber section within which may have become distorted.
The 4 Allen bolts that hold the v pulley to the timing belt (toothed)pulley may be loose.
As with my jx the timing pulley bolt had become loose in the past ,damaging the end of the crankshaft.Took quite a bit of ingenuity , luck,skilled help and time to True that up with the engine in situ !

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

Does yours have the tensioning spring that sits under the alternator?
Mine didn't so alternator kept dropping down and belts got chewed up or jumped off.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

lefty67 wrote:Does yours have the tensioning spring that sits under the alternator?
Mine didn't so alternator kept dropping down and belts got chewed up or jumped off.

Tensioning spring? Not sure I've ever seen one of those.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

lefty67

Post by lefty67 »

clift_d wrote:
lefty67 wrote:Does yours have the tensioning spring that sits under the alternator?

Tensioning spring? Not sure I've ever seen one of those.

Don't know if they all have them. It's a spring that sits under the alternator to help keep the belt under tension.
1.9td AAZ

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

The parts catalogue doesn't seem to show a spring - might be a third party accessory.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/vana ... 03-131020/
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

lefty67

Post by lefty67 »

clift_d wrote:The parts catalogue doesn't seem to show a spring - might be a third party accessory.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/vana ... 03-131020/

Can't find any reference to it either. Wonder if it's to do with the aaz conversion.
1.9td AAZ

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Post by mm289 »

I believe the spring under the alternator is an AAZ thing, not seen on a standard JX.

Pulleys should be aligned with very little wobble, you will see some but not enough to trash belts. I would be checking the alternator to alternator bracket mounting bolts and also the alternator bracket to engine block, if the alternator is out of alignment can you move these?

Is the water pump running freely? Other than that bottom pulley on crank( is it tight, has the outer part come loose), but I would have thought that would show up on watching it spinning at revs.........

Cheers,

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Long shot but I have seen cases where the sides of the pulley "V" have worn or so that the belt contacts the central flat part of the pulley. This would normally require excessive belt tension in order to prevent slipping which in turn might cause premature belt failure. Too narrow a belt would give the same result.
Like I said - a long shot.

CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Gary.
80-90 Mem No: 15521

Post by Gary. »

I can confirm my pulleys also do not line up, but the belt seems to be holding out for now. The previous one snapped, but it was 20 years old! I also struggle with tightness, it squeaks now and then, which is remedied by a lever bar tighten up!
Gary.

1990 Syncro doka (RHD), 1.6TD.

rivage5

Post by rivage5 »

Many thanks for all your replies and to Dubdog&Max for going out and taking really close up images of his standard JX td alternator set up. I will check out all the tips you have given and post how we get on. New belt fitted and stayed on for now.

Kind regards.