Ebike conversion kits.. who's fitted one.

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Ebike conversion kits.. who's fitted one.

Post by jed the spread »

I have been looking at these bike conversion kits.

Have any of you fitted one to your push bike? I was going to get a motorbike for the back of a truck camper I am building at the moment but really have to watch the weight I carry and an Ebike could also be taken away with me on the Westy too. They look a bit to good to be true with a 30+ mile range on a charge and some of 1000w ones getting some respectable speed also.

I would be really interested to hear from any of you who have had actual experience of fitting a conversion kit or using an Ebike.

Cheers,

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Ebike conversion kits.. who's fitted one.

Post by itchyfeet »

No but interested, link?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKHz7wOjb9w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

JonB
80-90 Mem No: 12941

Post by JonB »

Great another flippin' Youtube channel to subscribe to :rofl
Viking Caravelle JX - Cheshire

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Ian and Lins wrote:This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKHz7wOjb9w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I want one :shock: :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Da dan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Da dan »

That is a goodn. Proper rum old boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonB
80-90 Mem No: 12941

Post by JonB »

Back on topic, and a quick google I'm definitely thinking you're gonna get what you pay for on these things and is it better just putting money into a lighter bike or dedicated ebike.

Depends what your gonna use it for, terrain, distance, frequency. Keeping it simple a bike is pretty easy to fix with only a few spares, it can cover a decent amount of ground fairly quickly with little effort.
Viking Caravelle JX - Cheshire

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

JonB wrote:Back on topic, and a quick google I'm definitely thinking you're gonna get what you pay for on these things and is it better just putting money into a lighter bike or dedicated ebike.

Depends what your gonna use it for, terrain, distance, frequency. Keeping it simple a bike is pretty easy to fix with only a few spares, it can cover a decent amount of ground fairly quickly with little effort.

I think your right.

I see they do a fat bike with a 1000W motor that would be pretty nippy and have a long range but I think that might be a bit showy. I like the look of the ones with the battery inside the frame as you really cant even tell they are an Ebike at a glance. That said to convert my bike now for under £400 is an attractive option. I might do Isaac's bike first as he has some Amazon vouchers his grandparents have been handing over for a bit and he is looking to spend them on something :wink:

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

I was out with the dogs the other day and this old bloke was coming towards me up a fairly steep hill on a mountain bike , something didn't look right . As he passed I realised, he wasn't peddling. Looked like one of those motor in hub conversions. Wasn't hanging around so couldn't ask him about it . :ok
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Many years ago I built an electric bike pack which comprised a big old Commercial tape reel computer motor and three motorcycle batteries all secreted in a front carrier basket and switched by a handlebar mounted lever switch with no speed regulation. The front wheel was driven by a concentric drum fitted around the motor with a section of cam belt riveted on for grip and set to claw into the tyre under load.

I fitted it tho my daughters full size ladies bicycle and she used it for the three mile run on cycle tracks on her somewhat hilly route to work. She regularly overtook a chap pumping away at the pedals up a long knackering hill who eventually waved her down and asked how she managed to pedal effortlessly past him in top Sturmey Archer gear grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

This was not an ideal setup as I did not have the PWM technology at that time and when used in the dark the switch flashed like an arc welder on pulling away.

Al these years later I have evolved to a machine for her ladyship which is a fully speed controlled tricyble using two 20 Ampere Hour jelly cells, a 24v motor from a lorry windscreen motor and a speed controller from QD. :ok

CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

You make it sound so easy brother :lol:

I am still thinking about this loads so think I might have to just jump in and have a go with a conversion kit now the technology has caught up with these amazing ideas that have been floating around for quite a while.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

I bought an already converted mountain bike for my girlfriend last year. It's got a twist throttle and cadence sensor with 3 "assist" settings.
I switched jobs recently and as the new job is only a 3 mile each way commute, I decided to use the leccy bike. It's got off-road gear ratios so it can only manage around 15 mph on the flat but the assist on hills means you don't really slow down on climbs. The three miles home is a steady 250ft gain in height and I can average 12 mph according to my Garmin watch. The battery managed 4 days before it got down to the last power level LED. Without the battery assist it is a heavy bike to use with just pedal power. :oops:
I switched to using my non-leccy bike this week and the same trip is only a few minutes slower but it feels like I've ridden twice as far. If I was going to build my own ebike I'd probably fit it to a light hybrid bike with a decent gear set more suited for road use rather than a mountain bike. But for now I'll keep using the girlfriend's bike everytIme I want to take it easy.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.