Leak or condensation?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

cottonvan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Leak or condensation?

Post by cottonvan »

Hi,

I have a just noticed that water has been dripping from the roof of my high top, onto the carpet between the sliding door and the fridge. I'm not sure whether it's dripping down from condensation from the skylight, or is a full on leak from the skylight. It's seems to mostly be coming from the screws where the skylight attached to the interior. I've also noticed that the wood underneath the fabric on the roof, near the screws, is pretty wet, and the water seems to be collecting under the fabric and making it bubble up.
I only bought the van a few months ago, and it survived a very wet trip to Cornwall with no leaks. I'm new to all things camper, so reluctant to start trying to remove the skylight if it's something that can be fixed without doing this. (Also, tried to take the interior attachment of the skylight off the roof, took out the four crews in the corner, but there seem to be other plastic dowels or plastic covers holding it in place, which I couldn't get off)

Any advice on where to start would be great!

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Re: Leak or condensation?

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Welcome to the forum :ok

This sounds more a leak than condensation. If it were me, then I would look on top of the roof and look at the seal from roof to skylight. It probably has a silicone type seal or a gasket, or both.

If you aren't confident in distmantling it all to replace it's gasket, then you could try giving the joint area a good clean, make sure its throughly dry and run a bead of new silcone sealant around the joint.

Also, check the gasket between skylight to its plastic frame, i.e when you open it for air, assuming it can of course be opened, that the gasket isn't distorted or split as water can be forced up and through any gap by air force when driving along.

Hope that helps and good luck in curing the problem :)

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Re: Leak or condensation?

Post by dbz864 »

i would be getting this fixed asap, or it will cause a lot of damage. Easy job.
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe