Magnetic drip strip

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Magnetic drip strip

Post by itchyfeet »

This was not my idea but it is a good one which I finally got around to today.

Rain from the gutters runs into the rear vents and either the drip annoys you when sleeping or rusts your bodywork. This strip diverts the rain away.

This is a 1m self adhesive magnetic strip from ebay for a couple of pounds , I soaked the self adhesive backing briefly on one end with white spirit and it softens, you can then lift the end and peel the entire self adhesive tape off, then cut it in half.

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Magnetic drip strip

Post by CovKid »

CJH came up with that one although perhaps simpler and less 'in-your'face' is a trimmed black cable tie attached to vent. Does same job.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Somebody post up where to put the cable tie then for others benefit.
I may be wrong but I think this will keep more water out than a single cable tie.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

http://archive.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic ... 40&t=54892" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

thanks but no pics of the cable tie that I can find, written description isn't clear.

I suspect while the cable tie stops the drip it doesn't stop water flowing in like the mag strip will.

I was going to move it over towards ths vent so it's less visible, probably trim the length too but I will wait until it rains.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

randamonia
80-90 Mem No: 14035

Post by randamonia »

I use the magnetic strip. Works great and once it's on forget it's there really.
1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 DG

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

I had a similar problem in our leisuredrive camper in that rain ran down the rear window and whetted our pillows/heads in certain weather conditions.

We originally thought it was rain leaking past the upper rear door seal but after fixing a thin rubber overlap to carry water over the top of the door gap the wetness remained. It turned out to be condensation running down the rear window during certain weather conditions.

We solved this by hanging a colour matched leatherette curtain across under the rear window on curtain springy stuff and hooks. This contained the dampness against the rear door panel and incidentally provided something to hold the curtain closer to the window away from our heads.

CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Not sure how that is similar :D

Citizen Smith wrote:I had a similar problem in our leisuredrive camper in that rain ran down the rear window and whetted our pillows/heads in certain weather conditions.

We originally thought it was rain leaking past the upper rear door seal but after fixing a thin rubber overlap to carry water over the top of the door gap the wetness remained. It turned out to be condensation running down the rear window during certain weather conditions.

We solved this by hanging a colour matched leatherette curtain across under the rear window on curtain springy stuff and hooks. This contained the dampness against the rear door panel and incidentally provided something to hold the curtain closer to the window away from our heads.

CS
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

hughzt
80-90 Mem No: 13155

Post by hughzt »

I recall seeing the cable tie solution but both this and the magnetic strip offend my OCDness, so I've been playing with a couple of other solutions.

First I tried fitting a rubber seal around the vent grille (see photo) but even my latest version fails as compression of the seal around the bottom rear corner leaves a gap just where you don't need it :evil:

My latest attempt is to add some blutac (ultimately filler) just under the end of the guttering. It seems to work and if I'm happy with it I'll do a more permanent filler version which I will try to form to look like it's part of the normal bodywork. The attached shows it successfully diverting the water stream to the rear of the van.
Attachments
Gutter.jpg
Gutter.jpg (44.11 KiB) Viewed 5099 times
Grille.jpg
Grille.jpg (37.16 KiB) Viewed 5099 times
1986 2.1 petrol Caravelle GL camper conversion
1975 Triumph TR6

JMGR33N
80-90 Mem No: 15742

Magnetic drip strip

Post by JMGR33N »

If you put a strip of wide masking tape down the side of the vent. Then polish the panel with hydrophobic wax(something like Carbanuba from Autobrite) then peel away the masking tape.

The water will run straight down the hydrophobic layer and avoid the un waxed bit.