Electric water pump

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fdb
80-90 Mem No: 0

Electric water pump

Post by fdb »

Hi Ive just fitted a new engine as the old 1Y engine overheated. I have bleed the system through but the new engines pump is not strong enough to pump around the bus so she overheats within 20 mins. Not a problem on the drive but will be so I want to fit an electric pump.I have found the Davids craig pump and sensor that let the pump know when to open but its not cheap, infact it is the same price I paid for the engine. I have also looked at VW heritage and they have a MEYLE pump but no info on it at all. Does anyone know if this pump alone will do the job,its a quater of the price. Does it need a sensor, I will leave the old pump in situ running but only for ease really, it is a bit of a chocolate fire guard. If I need a sensor to turnthe pump on and off any recomendtions please.
All solutions are welcome.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Electric water pump

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

There is nothing wrong with the engine water pump. You need to check on which pump you have fitted at present (clockwise or anticlockwise) and ensure that you are using the correct belt setup. No need for any additional pumps.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

fdb wrote:Hi Ive just fitted a new engine as the old 1Y engine overheated.
Do you know what caused the engine to originally overheat might be the same cause, blocked radiator?
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

airhead
80-90 Mem No: 2980

Post by airhead »

1y pump is well able for the job as has been said. If there is a serpentine belt, as in a flat belt, the pump spins the other way than it does with the v belt arrangement, hence a different pump. It runs off the back of the belt. I only changed my radiator after chasing overheating issues and flushing the rad several times and it sorted the problem. I cut open the old rad and it was totally clogged with gunge.
Ross

1987 1.9td Leisuredrive camper.

fdb
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by fdb »

Hi, I replaced the 1 y engine as it overheated with an AEF engine. I'll take a look re belts but how can I clean out the rad without cracking it open please

airhead
80-90 Mem No: 2980

Post by airhead »

Don't. Just replace it. You won't be able to clean it effectively. Trust me as a person who spent ages trying to track down overheating issues after flushing the rad several times only to replace it and completely cure the problem. I know they're pricey enough but it's money well spent. Then when you have the old one out pull the side off it and see how much gunge is in there.
Ross

1987 1.9td Leisuredrive camper.