Rear trailing arm bush fitting

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Rear trailing arm bush fitting

Post by clift_d »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:I don't think that I stepped on anyone's toes by making my own clutch alignment tool. :D
That one's easy. You can use an old worn gearbox input shaft.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Not all vehicles come with 2 gearboxes. I know that ours tend to! :lol:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Gnasher68
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Gnasher68 »

[quote="Dazco"]Has anyone got any dimensions of the proper VW tool? I might be able to knock a few up at work on the CNC :wink:[/quote

Have not got dimensions of vw tool but i did like boatbuilder said and made a stainless cone 100mm long x 60mm at one end going down to 47mm at other measured bush with verniers ,plenty of lube and goes straight through with studded bar and a selection of nuts/ washers ,magic !
cheers ,ash

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

For one set of bushes it would be hardly worth buying an expensive tool. Someone posted on Facebook where they had used an exhaust reducer pipe to do theirs.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

DLT
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by DLT »

I have done this using a modified hobby vise and 32mm socket and fitted new powerflex bushes, my question is should I have done up the bolts weight on wheels,I did get the bolts in the same place but I did it with the trailing arms not hanging free but only slightly jacked up.
1989 Devon Kameo hitop 1.9 petrol DG
1985 South African micro bus 1.9 DG

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I also made a fitting cone, same sort of dimensions but turned from hard PVC rod. No need to carve one out of any sort of metal, plastic is more than strong enough.

Sent from my Atari 7800

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

His may help.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

Surprisingly popular.
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/vw-special ... l?___SID=U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Having removed and fitted a couple of trailing arm bushes, I wouldn't hesitate in fitting powerflex in this instance. Its SO easy in comparison to fitting rubber ones even if more expensive. What you spend, you save in time on that job. As many know, I'm really not keen on using powerflex everywhere (in particular front suspension), but where its a pig of a job or its something you don't want to have to revisit, like trailing arms, the powerflex ones win out.

Mind you, getting the old one out may still take as much time. We ended up burning mine out with a gas torch.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Some of you may not know this, but a greatvdeal of effort goes into suspension bush design and how the installed item is preloaded (compressed)
In the case of the rear suspension on a T3, the semi-trailing arms have bushes with parallel but offset axes i.e. as the arm moves, the bushes passively resist this movement due to the offset loads.
It was how VW designed in a degree of anti-squat/jack into the rear suspension (this type being known for wayward oversteer antics in certain applications)
The effect of changing to different rubber compounds - such as polyeurethane - remains to be seen.
Although I am impressed with the polyflex arb and rack mounts.
As you were :lol:
Sent from my Atari 7800

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

CovKid wrote:Having removed and fitted a couple of trailing arm bushes, I wouldn't hesitate in fitting powerflex in this instance. Its SO easy in comparison to fitting rubber ones even if more expensive. What you spend, you save in time on that job. As many know, I'm really not keen on using powerflex everywhere (in particular front suspension), but where its a pig of a job or its something you don't want to have to revisit, like trailing arms, the powerflex ones win out.

Mind you, getting the old one out may still take as much time. We ended up burning mine out with a gas torch.

Too late to offer any suggestions now but when I removed mine, I'd say it took no more than 15 minutes each just by drilling the rubber and increasing the bit sizes until there wasn't a lot of rubber left. It was just a case of tapping them out with a mallet after that. Quick, easy and clean.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

PeteandNikki
80-90 Mem No: 13990

Post by PeteandNikki »

Can't see powerflex ones available as an option anywhere. Am I missing something?

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWERFLEX-SUS ... aHIk70M83A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

Just fitted the brickwerks bushes in a matter of minutes, cut an old stainless hoover pipe to length of bush, sliced it down the side, jubilee clip on one end, put the bush in boiling water to soften, plenty of silicon grease, 46mm socket, impact driver with long m12 bolt. Pre load the pipe with the bush in a vice, pipe should flare open into a cone, could use another hose clip if it flares open to much and you are ready to go.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

Dollytony
80-90 Mem No: 14086

Post by Dollytony »

This is how we did it.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=159115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1981 Westfalia Poptop now EJ25 Powered