CU Starter motor Rebuild

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

volks_womble
80-90 Mem No: 13821

CU Starter motor Rebuild

Post by volks_womble »

Its been a while since I posted, mostly because I havent touched the van in nearly a year... so I thought I would move it and clean it off...

Sadly it didn't want to start. Very slow to turn over, even with plenty of volts (and more than sufficient amps) thrown at it...

Took off the rusty lump of nastyness that was sitting in the hole where the starter should be. Put it in the vice and ran it up on the bench - Yes, having read various threads on here now I realise that was the wrong thing to do... Hopefully I havent damaged it beyond repair. Internally it is full of rubbish, and smells of burnt motor a bit...

So, in terms of repair, I figured I would have a go at doing so myself - particularly after reading this thread. I think I will replace the solenoid as a matter of course, but I am wondering whether to replace the bearing(s?) in the motor too as they felt pretty awful. The brushes look OK, or at least they don't look totally worn down. I will need to replace the oilite bush in the crankcase. So, its really a question of what else I might have damaged by running it up on the bench? Any suggestions?

Can anyone tell me if there is there a standard bearing/brush/solenoid rebuild kit available for this starter?

Thanks in advance
Mark
1989 1.9TDI (AFN) California
1990 2.1MV Syncro Atlantic

volks_womble

Re: CU Starter motor Rebuild

Post by volks_womble »

Ok, so having spent a little while investigating the starter some more, I have managed to get the solenoid off, and the end cover off. Brushes and brush holder seems fine.

This means I think I just need to get a bush for each end of the spindle, and a replacement solenoid.

The only think I have not fathomed out is how to get the nose bushing out of the bell housing... Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mark

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Pe ... sh_removal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

volks_womble

Post by volks_womble »

:ok

Ta... Should have thought to look there! Oops...

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Good to see someone else attempting this. Cannot figure out why some people are so afraid of them and worse, then go and fork out £150 for a rebuilt one. Most of the time the fault is relatively minor and providing its not rusted solid, you can easily strip it down, suss the fault and sort it. Water ingress and carbon dust are the most common culprits. Dust especially. I've rescued several with little more needed than a blast with an airline and a quick clean of the commutator.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.