Knocking sound

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Knocking sound

Post by Smiffo »

After a brief period of smiles and joy, I find myself with the possibility of needing to do more work :(

The issue is as follows; When on almost full lock, generally when getting in and out the driveway, there is a definite `clunk` sometimes under the driver seat ( I think. )
Not continuous knocking, but a one off, and more of the sound of something shifting under the load and settling in a new position.

I have had a little poke, tug and push underneath, but nothing budges - although I appreciate I may not be able to apply enough force to replicate.

Any ideas where I should start to look?
Common problem?

Apart from a scroat who decided to drag his red van down the side of mine and promptly drive off - leaving a wound down to the metal - my van has been a joy for the last month or so :lol:
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Knocking sound

Post by Aidan »

radius rod and bushes would be my first point of call, when they are bad there is wear in the hole in the body where they fit and they can move more than they should be able to, usually there will be marking that shows the rubber bushes have been moving sideways

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

There is a temptation to replace ALL the bushes with polypropylene, but I would say no.
Good Quality rubber bushes are enough.
I would be selective in your choice of which ones are replaced.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Anti roll bar link snapped maybe.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Thanks all.

There isn't anything snapped, it all looks intact, so I am thinking it could be the bushes.
( They don't look too clever, and are probably the originals. )

Just as a question Kev, are you saying Polypropylene bushes are not very good, or that they are but rubber is sufficient?

I almost have a full hydraulic power steering set-up ready for installation, so it might be a good time to do the bushes at the same time.
Is there any risk of damage to the van, or is it dangerous to put this off until I am ready for the power steering to be installed?
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Smiffo wrote: .... or that they are, but rubber is sufficient?

Yes.
and it's not vital you do this right away

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Top man Kev :ok
'89 1.9 DG

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I think Kev and I are in agreement on not replacing every bush in sight with modern materials. Certainly it is unwise to change the whole lot without understanding the physics involved as you'll never know which bush made the vehicle a nightmare to drive (and trust me, you can end up there). There are only three pairs of bushes on a T25 I'd always change for powerflex - the ones that involve major surgery to get the old ones out and only because thats all there is beyond stock.

Modern stuff can last longer (no question) but thats not the only factor. It can also make the ride distinctly uncomfortable if you're unlucky. In the real world, poly-type material can be made in various grades from soft to hard and what may work in one area may not be at all good in another. Even stock rubber bushes vary in hardness throughout a vehicle depending on the job they have to do. Most powerflex bushes are the same grade (or just two grades) so theres limited choice off-the-shelf. You can cast/mould your own though and that provides the ability to 'tweak' the composition to suit - where getting it spot on matters, such as handling. Brickwerks (rightly) changed their Urethane gearbox mount bush to one that flexes more to reduce vibration. Its spot on. The other 'solid' gearbox mount bushes on ebay are like concrete. :shock:

As an aside, I don't think theres any way to 'bond' powerflex material to metal either which is why you don't see powerflex engine mounts. It would require a major redesign of the mounts although not a bad place for Urethane as they get exposed to oil, grit and everything else down that end.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

FWIW the T3 bodyshell isnt the stiffest thng in the world, overdo the polybushes amd expect the B post seams to let you know some time later. I picked this info up via someone "in the know" on the German scene

Sent from my Atari 7800

p373r42
80-90 Mem No: 5861

Post by p373r42 »

Until recently I had the same symptoms when pulling onto my drive.
In my case it turned out to be the upper wishbone bushes.
1986 T25 DG

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Thanks for your input everyone.

It gives me things to think about.
Last question - If I buy bushes, are the Brickwerks ones the items to go for?
Everything else I have got from there has been spot-on, so assume the same for bushes.
'89 1.9 DG

ChrisTriple
80-90 Mem No: 12111

Post by ChrisTriple »

I think you can rely on anything from Brickwerks pretty much :ok
84 Devon Sunrise PopTop, DF. Campershack LPG.
Full Body resto completed 04-17

http://www.T25Camper.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Yes, what you buy in the shop gets fitted to the vans.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Shimmy underneath and check inner control arm bushes. Most are at the age now where failure is more likely. It gives an indistinct clonk and they are easily overlooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi09IU8IBok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Usually you'll see evidence of rubbing on the chassis on at least one side. Definatelty a job for powerflex. These are them. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TYPE-25-Front ... Sw8-tWaWce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/t ... thane.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (both same part, factor in postage) - would be a pig to try and fit original rubber ones and despite the cost of poly bushes, the time saved outweighs the outlay in this instance.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.