Steering rack gaiter split

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MacAoidh
80-90 Mem No: 1045

Post by MacAoidh »

MoT failed partly because offside steering rack gaiter is split. The guy reckoned I should be able to do it myself; is it easy? Could anyone please give me some pointers as to where to get a new one? Rough idea of price? Thanks.
Member 1045 – 1986 1.6 n/a Diesel conversion (JK, probably from a Caddy)

SplendiferousII
80-90 Mem No: 2893

Post by SplendiferousII »

Yes it is easy.

Jack car up and remove the wheel - best to remove the wheel and jack the car the same side the gattor has split.

You will need to remove the track rod end ball joint. So remove the lock nut from the ball joint and get a bar and lever the ball joint so your trying to pull it out of its tapered seat. Give the part which has the female taper in it a good crack with a hammer. This is the most succesfull method of getting a ball joint out of its taper - you can you're a forked tool - but they wreck the ball joints and a lever system tool but the usually tear the ball joint gators. If you not confident in doing this you can just wind the track rod end out in position.

If you have removed the ball joint then you will need to remove it from the track rod arm. You will see a lock nut behind ball joint. Wire bruch this off and mark its location with Tipex (if you don't do this you will need to go get your tracking redone) Slacken the Lock nut a tad and wind off the ball joint. The Steering rack gator will now slide off. If you didn't remove the ball joint then you just need to do the same. All will be clear when you get the wheel off.

Replace Gator and put back together.

The only important bit is to mark the position of the lock nut so you don't throw your tracking out.

OLD ONE
80-90 Mem No: 1737

Post by OLD ONE »

DONT rely on jack. use axle stands. you can hire if you dont have them
Health has now stopped me camping Etc.

MacAoidh
80-90 Mem No: 1045

Post by MacAoidh »

top!

gaiter is about a fiver from www.eurocarparts.com, I've noticed

thanks for your help. including safety reminder: I'm a bit absent minded, so these are alway welcome.
Member 1045 – 1986 1.6 n/a Diesel conversion (JK, probably from a Caddy)