Clutch Rattle

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

More likely to be a dry/worn clutch release bearing. Lot of folk replace the clutch but don't bother with the release bearing. Ridiculous really since they're not that expensive and better to do clutch AND bearing if the engine and gearbox are being separated.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Somewhere around £15 for the bearing. Easy enough to replace but its in the gearbox bellhousing so needs either engine or gerarbox out to replace it. No doubt the one in there if spun by hand would sound more rattley than a rattley thing.

That said mines the same - just can't be arsed to do it unless I have a reason to pull engine out or it goes. Noisy bearings can continue to run for a long time before they go. If your CV gaiters need doing too at some point I suggest you leave engine in situ and just pull the gearbox out instead.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

SplendiferousII
80-90 Mem No: 2893

Post by SplendiferousII »

Of all the clutch kits I have ever purchased they have always been a clutch kit. Three piece - friction plate, pressure plate & realease bearing. I changed the clutch in my van only last night in fact and once again it was a three piece kit. So if you have just had your clutch done, I'd be amazed if they didn't use a kit. But would not be surprised if whoever did the job didn't bother to replace the realease bearing - time is money and all that.

To change the release bearing - I'm sorry to say it's a box out job. - But hey I had my box out and on the floor in under 30 minutes the other night, and that working out in the road. As I said in another post - its taken me longer than that to clean the bathroom.

As it happens, the clutch I took out was perfect. Must have had a new one fitted just before I bought the van - So I have an all but new release bearing if you need one. FOC of course.

Reason for the change of clutch - Had a gearbox problem so pulled it to fix that, The van judders on pull away - probably engine mounts but thought I'd do the clutch whilst there.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

You can drop an engine out in 20 mins although it can take a darned site longer putting it back in:)

Incidentally nearly EVERY local authority (to my knowledge) now says it is illegal to do repairs on the road (EU regulations that came into force April 2006 don't ya know). I can't even flat down a bit of bodyfiller in Cov without 'someone' who works for the council reminding me of this new regulation.

No, not damaging anything when it rattles - its just noisy. However like any worn bearing its hard to say how long it will last.......could be a year or more, or months. Hard to tell. Yes probably OK for 300 mile round trip. When they DO go its usually during lots of up and down movement of the clutch pedal - heavy traffic etc.

As for kits with release bearings in - yup you're right. There are a few kits without them though - still see one now and again where someone has 'supplied' one to fit. Often what happens is folk just replace the friction plate. Nothing wrong in that if pressure plate is sound but highly advised to replace bearing at same time.

Its not unknown for 'reputable' garages to just sling in a new friction plate and claim they replaced clutch. Seen a LOT of that. Also once came across a garage that took THREE days to do one and charged the owner £450. Clearly they'd never done one and charged the owner for the privaledge........

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »