Vinyl seats??

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CK Joiner
80-90 Mem No: 13896

Vinyl seats??

Post by CK Joiner »

I've ordered a new posh rock n roll bed, type with the seat belts attached like the T4/T5 versions.
So i thought i'd pop round and see a local foam & upholstery firm tonight and enquire about fitting it out with new upholstery needed.
Anyway, the guy has put me right off using vinyl saying it will cause condensation, it rips and marks too easy and all other sorts of reasons.
I really thought i was the most obnoxious always right and biggest know it all about my own chosen profession, until i met this guy!!
Had a bit of banter with him tho and then i scowled when he looked outside and said "what? your doing up that pile of crap!!!"
I tried to explain its the patina look but he laughed that off too :(
So my plans to use vinyl on some of the panels and seats have been put on hold and now having a re-think as i didn't want to just completely cover the inside of my panel van in carpet, and have to use cotton type material especially when my kids n dog will be clambering over them.
Does anyone else have a real problem using vinyl on their beds in the van, do you wake up damp like he said i will??

jack-d
80-90 Mem No: 12231

Re: Vinyl seats??

Post by jack-d »

Mine have vinyl type material on top and sides of the cushions, then they have used a material on the bottom that looks like its an air rated type. I got mine done at Bromsgrove auto trimmers , they are very good.

In hindsight I would of asked them whether there was a softer foam as mine is quite firm.
Image T25 1990 2.1DJ Viper Green Caravelle, converted to Camper

slippy8v
80-90 Mem No: 8868

Post by slippy8v »

We retrimmed our komet with marine vinyl, and had no problems with it, very easy to keep clean just use a baby wipe.
Local car trimmer did it. Heres some pice during the refit
1967 RHD WALKTHROUGH SPLITSCREEN
1971 RHD BAY
1993 MK1 GTI CABBY RIVAGE
1989 T25 KOMET
1991 T25 SYNCRO PANEL VAN

CK Joiner

Post by CK Joiner »

That looks very nice indeed slippy, he's estimated me £450 for the 3 cushions in a vinyl does that sound about right?
They also do marine seats boats caravans and other things, so i puzzled why he's trying to put me off
Unless he just doesn't like me and my rusty old patina van :(

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I have vinyl cushion covers in my boat - yes you do get very sweaty on it. Not my choice to sleep on. (I tried a loose piece of foam on top and this ended up soaked where it was in contact with the vinyl in a body sized patch)
Even cloth covers have their drawbacks - my Merc has cloth on the bed cushions and had a ply sheet underneath, this got soaked after three weeks use. Changed the ply for slats to aid circulation and problem gone.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

CK Joiner

Post by CK Joiner »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:I have vinyl cushion covers in my boat - yes you do get very sweaty on it. Not my choice to sleep on. (I tried a loose piece of foam on top and this ended up soaked where it was in contact with the vinyl in a body sized patch)
Even cloth covers have their drawbacks - my Merc has cloth on the bed cushions and had a ply sheet underneath, this got soaked after three weeks use. Changed the ply for slats to aid circulation and problem gone.

Thanks for that info mate, and has given me an idea to drill plenty of large holes in the ply i'll be using.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I tried that - you need more hole than ply to achieve best results which means that you need a lot thicker ply than you may think. Beech sprung slats are the best ( ones that have a bow steam bent in them) It makes you rethink the construction of a bed base though as it isn't as straight forward as a sheet of ply.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

slippy8v
80-90 Mem No: 8868

Post by slippy8v »

got our's recovered a few years ago I was charged around £600 for all the panels, front seats,buddy seat and R+R bed , so probably about right price wise, we put a mattress cover on ours when using the bed or we will end up welded to the vinyl.
1967 RHD WALKTHROUGH SPLITSCREEN
1971 RHD BAY
1993 MK1 GTI CABBY RIVAGE
1989 T25 KOMET
1991 T25 SYNCRO PANEL VAN