ZIG plus LVD - question for electrical whizzes

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

ZIG plus LVD - question for electrical whizzes

Post by CJH »

My leisure battery is connected to my ZIG CF8 via a single cable. This cable therefore functions as the load cable (supplying the ZIG) and the charging cable (for the charger built into the ZIG). I also have an LVD fitted, with this ZIG cable connected to the 'Load' side of the LVD.

The problem:
When the LVD disconnects the load, the charging current from the ZIG can no longer reach the leisure battery.

The solution:
One option is to fit an override switch, so that the LVD gets replaced with a direct connection when I need to charge a flat leisure battery. But then I need to remember to undo the override, otherwise the LVD is disabled. I could also faff about with a mains-powered relay that bypasses the LVD whenever there's mains power to the ZIG charger.
But I'm looking at a possibly more elegant solution, which would involve slightly rewiring the ZIG, provided I can get inside it and make the necessary changes.

I'd like the opinion of people who know about these things, in case I'm overlooking something obvious.

Here's the ZIG schematic:

And here's my proposed modification:

Will this work? It aims to provide a permanent connection between the ZIG charger and the battery, while routing the load through the LVD. It means running an extra cable to from the ZIG to the leisure battery, but that's easy at the moment while the interior is stripped out of my van.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Re: ZIG plus LVD - question for electrical whizzes

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

That looks pretty sensible to me.
You'll be surprised how simple the insides of the Zig are - just a bunch of wires and switches/fuses.
It should be as simple as pulling a spade connector off the appropriate terminal of the on-site/touring switch and adding in your new wire - so it can probably be made to be totally 'reversible' without damage to the Zig.
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Looks good to me :ok
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

CJH

Post by CJH »

Thanks Gents

I was hoping it would be quite modular inside the Zig as you suggest Rich, as ultimately I'm considering replacing the built-in charger with a more intelligent charger, but wiring it in in such a way that the Zig control panel is still in control. So the mains switch on the Zig would still control the charger power.

I'm also considering replacing my current LVD and split charge system with a CTEK SMARTPASS and a D250S. The SMARTPASS has the LVD function built-in, but I believe the problem and solution are the same as for my current setup.

CJH

Post by CJH »

I did the mod this afternoon. As MidLifeCrisis suggested, the connections are all very simple - it's almost as if they expected me to make this mod.

I pulled off the single spade connector with the orange and green wires, insulated it and strapped it to my new blue wire (so that it's obvious in the future where it came from).

On the outside, they'd even left a spare chocolate block terminal (No 12), so I ran my new blue wire out to it.

So now the load circuit from the LVD connects to terminal No 4 as before, and by running a new cable from terminal No 12 directly to the leisure battery positive terminal I can connect the Zig charger even when the LVD disconnects the load.

mickchip
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mickchip »

Thanks to everyone this has been extremely useful to me.

The idiot who took 15 months to respray my van disconnected everything!

I think I have it all back where it should be but where does the earth go.
Can you have a look and tell if I'm being stupid.
Thank you, Mick.
Attachments
Zig CF8 internal wiring
Zig CF8 internal wiring
zig cf8 internal.jpg (132.2 KiB) Viewed 9414 times

CJH

Post by CJH »

I'm pretty sure it just connects to the metal case somewhere. I can't remember exactly where - I'll check this evening if you like.

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

I would agree, as it is an earth it can go under any nut and bolt that is connected to the metal case, as long as the metal case is in turn connected/attached to a metal part of the van (you can check this with your meter - ask if you need to know how).

Oh, and "Hi" by the way :D
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Does everything else look right though?

Thanks I will find a convenient bolt.

oscarvandriel

Post by oscarvandriel »

Can anyone tell me what the blue part on the trafo is.
I have a black part there but it keep clicking when set to mains on hookup to 240

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Trafo?
Are you talking about the transformer (that's the only bit that I can see is blue)?
If so it looks like a resettable thermal fuse to me - not certain though. You would have to look at the circuit diagram.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Trafo?
Are you talking about the transformer (that's the only bit that I can see is blue)?
If so it looks like a resettable thermal fuse to me - not certain though. You would have to look at the circuit diagram.
Agreed :ok (Darn good idea to suggest looking at the diagram there obg [wink], and I too have never heard of a "Trafo")

oscarvandriel

Post by oscarvandriel »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Trafo?

Yep the blue thingy is black on my transformer.
It clicks but don't know why. If it's a thermal fuse , where can I get replacement for this?

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Better to keep this all on your other thread about this - be easier to understand then.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶