engine tuning

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

delboy
80-90 Mem No: 0

engine tuning

Post by delboy »

hi i have a 2l air cooled engine i want some more power!!!!.i might be able to get some porsche heads can any one recomend a good engine builder,i have seen la performance and john maurer and there quite exspensive.i dont want to go mad with it just something to put a smile on my face!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers del

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Leads??? are you serious???? Sorry, though you said leads. Well you're a bit limited with having no rad up front - thats the real problem here. Decent twin-choke carb will help with performance a little but you'll use even more fuel if your right foot is heavy.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Diamond Hell
80-90 Mem No: 830

Post by Diamond Hell »

.i might be able to get some porsche heads

Aren't Aircooled Porsches normally 6 cylinders?

So wouldn't the bottom end of your engine be rather missing two cylinders?

Talk to Germman about a/cs - he drag-races a 2.0CU motor that's been breathed on.

Aircold engines can be built up in a performance stylee, but it costs. A lot. There are other ways of getting more power and cheaper, too. They just involve water.
Diamond Hell
Still Syncro, just much fasterer

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

The VW porsche 914 was a 4 pot type 4 engine, the 2L had different heads that flowed a lot more, 100bhp out the crate..

I wouldnt fit them.. you are gonna have loads of exhaust and tinware problems as the porsche heads have round exhaust ports and the T25 heads have square.. and the heat exchangers are all different..
as for fitting any bits to make it faster without a rebiuld... will end in tears!!!
rebiuld the engine with a better cam and solid lifters with rebiult and slightly improved heads from LAP with a header and twin ICT's should give the grunt you need, top end power isnt what the bus needs.. a head temp gauge is a must as would extra oil cooling and ensuring all tinware and seals are in perfect condition..
you would prob be better off speaking to a good aircoled mech and having a good service and tune up of the std setup, the carbs for one will be pretty tired..

germman
80-90 Mem No: 1760

Post by germman »

Or spend way to much money and get yourself one of these 130bhp 114ft lb tourq ,without the nitross !!!
in truth an AC type 4 cu engine realy needs 40ida's or similar with 32mm chokes and a realy free flowing exhaust ,solid lifters and a street/ race cam THEN you wil feel the diferance ...
http://www.muchos.co.uk/members/germman/new injun 2 010 (Small).jpg

mem no 1760

vwdrc8
air cooled bus
sponsored by VANARCHY2

lowering how to ... http://www.gimme-gimme.co.uk/misc/lowering/

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

linking doesn't like spaces in the URL copy and paste the following into your address bar

http://www.muchos.co.uk/members/germman ... Small).jpg

My uneducated take on it is that VW spent millions of Dm's developing a system that worked OK in lots of different climates and operating conditions for a particular ¬cost¬. you cant just bolt on a carb or exhaust (IMHO) and expect your van to fly, for very long or for very far. By God there have been improvements over the stock setup, but do see things holistically I dont think there is a cheap bolt on solution for you. (apart from the nitros! :lol: ) tell us how far you get. :)
member 1168

germman

Post by germman »

I realy dissagree Bob .............AC vw engines are built for a long hard(ish ) life ,vw in there wisdom built an AC engine for the reliabilty
its well known that an AC type 4 (cu)engine is a verry strong base to build a performance engine from you only have to look at the way vw german tuning has gone over the last 10-15 years ,and bolting on better carbs and free flowing exhaust isent going to make any differance to reliability in fact well tuned free breathing type 4 (performance) engine will out last a stock poorly maintained poorly tuned stock motor anyday, mpg will improve ,more low down power / tourqe ,and most importantly cooler running !! imho

ps bob still cant get the photo up can u assist ?? :D
mem no 1760

vwdrc8
air cooled bus
sponsored by VANARCHY2

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

I have nothing to say about Aircooled performance engines except ooooooooooooooooh :shock:
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

Diamond Hell
80-90 Mem No: 830

Post by Diamond Hell »

Stuff like mappable ignition and a big fat dizzi similar to that Of Germman's will also contribute to better running as it will ensure a much more complete burn of the fuel charge per cycle.

There's always the possibility of using a WBX bottom end, but air cooling on the tops, known as an 'oxyboxer' - the WBX bottom end is supposed to be stronger again than the Type4 motor.

I may not particularly like Aircooled engines, but it doesn't stop me taking notes on 'em - know your enemy, like. :wink:
Diamond Hell
Still Syncro, just much fasterer

germman

Re: engine tuning

Post by germman »

delboy wrote:hi i have a 2l air cooled engine i want some more power!!!!.i might be able to get some porsche heads can any one recomend a good engine builder,i have seen la performance and john maurer and there quite exspensive.i dont want to go mad with it just something to put a smile on my face!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers del

Depends on your budget ,start with a session on a rolling road and get your
standard set up running spot on fer now , and then find yourself a clean serviceable set of 40idf webbers and manifolds and re build em ,dont bother with the porka heads as you will need to make other more expensive changes in order to get the best out of em , stick to standard heads and just clean em up smooth/polish out the exhaust ports,then either invest in a A1 headder systemn 600 ish quid !!!! or wait a few months till i get fully set up and built a few of my systemns at much less money ! (plugg)
I have some further testing and refineing to do but i can promise a gain in bhp and hp of aproximately 10% , with my set up i actualy gained 25% ,
bhp and 18% tourqe and lost 4 deg in head temps thats an indication of how important a free flowing tuned exhaust is to both the ac type4 and the wbx ! :)
mem no 1760

vwdrc8
air cooled bus
sponsored by VANARCHY2