Correct plugs and leads for a CU?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Tysoe
80-90 Mem No: 9737

Correct plugs and leads for a CU?

Post by Tysoe »

Hi Guys,

After some advice on the correct plugs and leads for a 2.0 CU engine.

I suspect i may have been running the wrong plugs and/or leads.

I'm just going through the process of replacing my carbs so thought at the same time i'd tidy my tinware, do pushrod tube seals, oil cooler seals, and a good service.

I ordered new sparkplugs from JK but when i went to fit them the connector are too big for my leads. I compared to my old plugs and they are indeed larger, although both old and new plugs are Bosch W7CC? The leads are also Bosch long reach so seem correct for the engine.

I assume the plugs JK supply are correct, so is it a case that i have the wrong leads?

Also someone must've threaded one of the heads in the past as the bore is larger for the plug on cylinder 2. Where can i get a larger W7CC plug to fit?

Thanks,
Jason
1981 2.0 CU camper

Fudgy666
80-90 Mem No: 13188

Re: Correct plugs and leads for a CU?

Post by Fudgy666 »

Tysoe wrote:Hi Guys,
I ordered new sparkplugs from JK but when i went to fit them the connector are too big for my leads. I compared to my old plugs and they are indeed larger, although both old and new plugs are Bosch W7CC? The leads are also Bosch long reach so seem correct for the engine.
I assume the plugs JK supply are correct, so is it a case that i have the wrong leads?
I used one of the JK complete service kits for my van, and got the same HT leads and W7CC plugs that you describe included in that.

Had a similar size issue between the sparkplug tops and the HT leads. In the end I unscrewed the tops off of the spark plugs, leaving just the threaded section, and then screwed the HT leads onto that.

Seems to fit and works ok. I just kinda assumed that was the way they were designed to fit ?
1982 T25 2.0L Aircooled(CU) with Twin Solex's No idea what version/type of camper conversion

Tysoe

Post by Tysoe »

Ok having thought about this i realised i can remove the end of the connector and my leads will fit :oops:

Also having looked at the old spark plug they are the same as my new plugs but the one that i thought was a different size i think has been time sert'd and the insert has come out with the plug. I can see the old plug is screwed into some kind of insert, looking online it looks like a timesert. The old plug is pretty oily (wet) so i don't think it's sealed very well :(

What's the best thing to do in this case?
1981 2.0 CU camper

Tysoe

Post by Tysoe »

Fudgy666 wrote:
Tysoe wrote:Hi Guys,
I used one of the JK complete service kits for my van, and got the same HT leads and W7CC plugs that you describe included in that.

Had a similar size issue between the sparkplug tops and the HT leads. In the end I unscrewed the tops off of the spark plugs, leaving just the threaded section, and then screwed the HT leads onto that.

Seems to fit and works ok. I just kinda assumed that was the way they were designed to fit ?

Thanks Fudgy, just realised i can remove the tips to get them to fit :oops:
1981 2.0 CU camper

Tysoe

Post by Tysoe »

Or maybe it was one of these? Didn't think time serts should come out...

http://www.justkampers.com/00-4013-0-sp ... -of-4.html
1981 2.0 CU camper

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

Yes some applications use the bit that's screwed onto the spark plug, some don't. Having to take them off to fit the HT leads is completely normal.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine