Grafting a rev counter into an Aircooled dash?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rivage5
80-90 Mem No: 12481

Grafting a rev counter into an Aircooled dash?

Post by rivage5 »

Hi There - I know, I know ....before you start - there are plenty of warnings on here not to do it, - but the space above the fuel gauge is crying out for a rev counter. Our 1982 CU LPG Auto Devon extensive dash runs to a speedo and a fuel gauge. It doesnt even have a clock... or even a demister fan....(another story).

I have a spare fully functioning VW Golf MK1 Cabrio set of clocks with PCB lying around and recon I could graft the rev counter into the space where analogue Clock fits on Aircooled models. - it even has LCD clock that could be grafted in to the middle of the dash - if it is possible?

Could some one with the Knowledge and spare time to explain what is required to wire up the rev counter ?

looking at the Camper PCB - it has spare terminals for the temp gauge not needed (maybe same PCB as for a water cooled diesel or in anticipation of wasserboxer)? and also spare Positive and Negative terminals for a an analogue clock (not fited) could any of these be used?

I appreciate (think) I will have to run a wire to the Neg side of the Coil ?

Will I need to use a voltage regulator (and how to wire it in) - there is one on the Golf PCB (I could use). The Voltage regulator on Camper has only two of the three terminals connected (as per factory)? the Golf all three are connected.

The other option that I recon a 52 mm rev counter would also fit in the space. Is it posible to use an after market 52mm diesel rev counter? The logic being they usually go up to 5k as opposed to 8K + on petrol ones? The Aircooled flat 4 only revs just over 4K

Any positive help and a how to do it digram would be appreciated?

and Yes there are plenty of other things on the camper I ought to be doing........

regards

faggie

Re: Grafting a rev counter into an Aircooled dash?

Post by faggie »

just use the rev counter dash out of the later model vans

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

s/h dashes not cheap. Could be a lot of work grafting in another rev counter too. Lot simpler to just fit one that sticks to the right of the dash. I can see where you're coming from on this as mines the same but I waited for a proper rev counter to come along.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

faggie

Post by faggie »

dead easy to fit the stock rev counter to a Aircooled

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Indeedy.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

rivage5
80-90 Mem No: 12481

Post by rivage5 »

Many thanks for your comments and I agree replacement dashes seem to cost a fortune. To clarify, are you saying swapping the whole binacle inc PCB for a later one is the way to go, or that installing just the correct revcounter into the existing Aircooled binicle / PCB is straight forward ? i would have thought both have wiring issues?

I appreciate that adding an external rev counter should be striaght forward.

regards

faggie

Post by faggie »

swap the whole binnacle easiest way