Drum Brakes issue

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MrT3
80-90 Mem No: 0

Drum Brakes issue

Post by MrT3 »

Bit of background - I have replaced the trailing arms - which have had a completely new drum build, replaced all brake inners and hard and soft brake lines.I did intend to replaces both sides at once. However the drivers side got replaced first and was driven for about 400/500 miles!

Then two or so weeks ago the other side got replaced - this is where the issue started. Firstly everything was ok long trip down south and no problem. Untill I started feeling a pulsating brake pedal when braking intermittently. First I put it down to maybe the brakes bedding in? Things started to get worst with a rubbing/scraping noise coming from the drivers side drum brakes when the brakes used. This lead to a rubbing noise even when not applying the brake.

So I stripped open the drum and backed off the star adjuster. This is where thing have me stumped. At first everything is fine - no noise or pulsing brake - but it seem to start rubbing again after it gets hot. It gets hotter than the other side drum as well, but not hot enough to sizzle when spat on. I have since backed off the drum again. Runs fine for a bit then the issue returns. I have just tried setting it up from scratch tight drum then few clicks to loosen. But problem returns!!

What's causing the issue to keep coming back? Also if I let the drums completely cool down it will continue to rub - so heat expansion is not the culprit. It only stops if I reset the drum, be ok for a bit, then rub/pulse returns?

Maybe a warped hub? Or do I need to reset both sides at the same time? I have checked and rechecked and I am pretty sure I have the inner's springs etc set up correctly.

Any help will be really welcome.
88 westy joker poptop 1.9 TD AAZ

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: Drum Brakes issue

Post by CJH »

You do have the pins/springs/collars in the middle of the shoes don't you (3 o'clock and 9 o'clock)?

If there's any doubts about the spring locations there's a good picture in the wiki.

"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

MrT3

Post by MrT3 »

I cant get the dam photo to show the correct way up - it turns however I upload it. Sorry.

I have had a good look at the wiki. Does it look correct how I have it set up?All Seems to be ok?

Thanks for the help

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

Were the drums replaced at the same time as the shoes and everything else? I had a pulsating brake pedal that was cured when I fitted new drums and shoes, and I put it down to uneven wear in the old drums.

I'm no expert here, but did you grease the contact points? I wonder if the shoes are binding on the rusty back plate perhaps.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

I had rear brake rebuilds too and replaced the drums as I had brakes pulsating from uneven wear on 30 year old drums. Problem solved.

MrT3

Post by MrT3 »

Yeah the drums are brand new everything is new and put together at the same time - apart from the back plate! Bloody typical - I guess I could of been classed, as being a bit shy with the grease on contact points maybe? I was the same as yourself, my first thought were the pulsating peddle was the uneven wear that comes with new shoes and drums. BUT I don't understand why I am getting the grinding/rubbing noise.

Again many thanks for your comments

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

My neighbour had a worrying, for him, rubbing grating noise from his Vauxhall's rear wheel and was panicking as he was just off on holiday, quick inspection and feel of the backplate whilst turning the wheel said that the backplate had had a slight bang. Quick tap with a Brummigan spanner sorted it. You may need a few strokes with a file if you can see where it has made contact - usually the rust expands and encroaches on the normal clearance.
I had pulsating brakes from a binding brake - it had got so hot that the drum had warped but I wouldn't expect pulsation from a new setup.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶