Aux gauges

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pwiffen
80-90 Mem No: 13032

Aux gauges

Post by pwiffen »

Hi all,

Hoping there maybe a TD/JX expert out there that could answer a couple of questions. I have a 16td and thinking of fitting water temp, oil temp and oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on things. I am struggling to find information on what the norm reading you would expect should be and at what temp/pressure you should start being concerned whilst driving. I know these will vary slightly depending on the type of journey/conditions etc but just after a bench mark figure.

Any help would be appreciated and keep up the good work!!

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Aux gauges

Post by lloydy »

Oil pressure should be..... min 1.1bar@2000rpm at 80c oil temp if you have a jx, all the others TD's are 2bar min. higher revs will give you higher pressure, as the oil gets hotter it'll get thinner and the pressure will start to drop. An oil cooler will help control that.
Oil temp, ideally around 100c. Keeping it under 120c is probably a good idea (oil cooler)
Water temp, 90c is normal but that will increase on long hills
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

MGP
80-90 Mem No: 13910

Post by MGP »

Water temperature should be around 90 degrees but will creep up under load but should not reach more than 100.
Oil pressure and temp go hand in hand, vw say pressure should be min 2 bar at 2000 rpm at 80 degrees however the oil will thin out as temperature rises and pressure will drop.
The max oil temp is about 105-110 any more and there will be little point of the oil being there.
Probably better to fit and air to oil cooler and change the oil regularly than fit gauges, ignorance is bliss.
'89 1.9td AAZ engine
http://www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

a jx is 1.1bar@2000rpm
if you use a good oil, you can run much higher than 110c. My tdi sits at 110c once fully warm, I'm not worried by that at all

Do agree on gauges making you worry more, have removed all mine :lol:
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

pwiffen
80-90 Mem No: 13032

Post by pwiffen »

Thanks for your input guys, knew someone out there would know. MGP shame your not closer your website looks great, may have to catch up sometime when I'm in Chelmsford visiting family!!

Much appreciated

Holydiver
80-90 Mem No: 2605

Post by Holydiver »

pwiffen wrote:Thanks for your input guys, knew someone out there would know. MGP shame your not closer your website looks great, may have to catch up sometime when I'm in Chelmsford visiting family!!

Much appreciated
Just about to fit oil pressure & temp gauge as well as an oil cooler, where's the best place to mount the two senders??

Cheers
Atlantic westy 91, Golf mk1 cabrio and looking to add a syncro to the list :-)