Stinks of fuel

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Hoopy_Frood
80-90 Mem No: 12752

Stinks of fuel

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

My van continues to smell quite strongly of fuel when running - it's not really noticeable when just sitting there.
I think it's time to drop the tank, replace the fuel lines and make sure there are no holes in the breather tanks.

I saw this kit

and am hoping it's of good quality and will do everything I need for my early van?
1984 T25 Poptop EJ20 conversion

dsmith1974
80-90 Mem No: 14537

Re: Stinks of fuel

Post by dsmith1974 »

Similar problem. Ours is OK (normal) if you drive around with half a tank or so, but if you fill it up, it reeks of fuel for days (esp round outside the cabin area). Makes me nervous to use the gas hob and electric lights.

I'm going to get the local indie to fit the Brickwerks fuel line kit from tank to carb and also check out the tanks/seals out to see where the problem is. I think there's rust around the breather tanks so they may be moving around a bit too which probably doesn't help matters.

Will let you know how it goes.
'83 HiTop, Early 1.9 DG, 5 speed.

Hoopy_Frood
80-90 Mem No: 12752

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

I couldn't see a kit on Brickwerks hence the ebay find. Have you got a link to your kit please?

Thanks
Iain
1984 T25 Poptop EJ20 conversion

dsmith1974
80-90 Mem No: 14537

Post by dsmith1974 »

Sure. Here's the feed pipe..
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/f ... 9l-dg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just realized I need the return pipe too
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/t ... -2025.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But the return pipe is out of stock :-(

The Brickwerks internal search engine could be better, it's a bit hit and miss whether you can find a part even if it's in stock.
'83 HiTop, Early 1.9 DG, 5 speed.

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

Post by MattBW »

Hoopy_Frood wrote:My van continues to smell quite strongly of fuel when running - it's not really noticeable when just sitting there.
I think it's time to drop the tank, replace the fuel lines and make sure there are no holes in the breather tanks.

I saw this kit

and am hoping it's of good quality and will do everything I need for my early van?

We had some missing vent pipes on V's which we thought was the fuel lines but turned out to the breather pipes near the front of the van being missing.

Replaced the pipes and the smell (and occasional leak of fuel) has gone.
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

Yes check the pipes between the fuel tank and the two breather tanks up in the front wheelarches. Two pipes on each side, the flexy parts are bound to be perished/missing if not previously replaced and are easy to change.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

RobH
80-90 Mem No: 8671

Post by RobH »

Any details on hose, grommets etc. required for wheel arch breather tanks? Think I need to do them soon.
'89 Home brew camper, 1.9 petrol twin-slider tin-top