Head Light type

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Head Light type

Post by CovKid »

I spent days trying to figure out the best way to get a screw fixing to satisfy the purists but I honestly can't see the point. The ties don't rust up and they don't show from the front at all. Powerfuluk even put in time on developing an adapter plate (which I was grateful for) but you can end up over-engineering a solution when sometimes, plain simple is best. All the bezel does is hold the light firmly in place (like the clips) and if the ties last that long, who cares. :D

Its definately better than clips though.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

well took most of my evening as adjusters were seized and I had to make two good frames from the four I had.

Ended up cutting all the tabs off the landy bezels and drilling three holes which align with the tabs on the ECP cheapo lamps, a development of my first attempt with cable ties but neater and more durable.
I also had to bend the bezel in slightly to clear the adjusters.

will need painting later to stop them rusting.

May upgrade with some nicer ones later but MOT needs passing...

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

they passed :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

dumbo
80-90 Mem No: 10625

Post by dumbo »

well done ....ok for an another year :ok
1986 DG WBX AUTOHOMES kamper

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Using a lucas type bezel with ties (in green for clarity):

This pic illustrates the disparity between two of the mounting holes but actually, it doesn't matter. Providing you loop them in and pull cable tie tight, it holds headlight firmly.

Last edited by CovKid on 21 Mar 2015, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Thought: what about fixing LR bowls c/w adjusters into the VW frames?
Ok a few more quid but probably pretty cheap given the volumes of LR parts made. Would make for a neat finished job.
The only implication would be the need to remove the grille to adjust the aim of the lamps afaics.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

As it happens, that is exactly what Powerfuluk supplied me with initially, LR (Landrover) pods complete with adapter plates. I really tried with it but couldn't get headlights aimed where they needed to be.

On T25 round headlight frames, they don't look straight ahead like landy ones (front grill is curved). They are already at an angle in their frames by default. It became glaringly apparent that with landy pods fitted, no way was the light going to rotate to where it should be without running out of thread on the adjuster screws. I haven't so much given up on that concept - more paused for thought. The adapter is close, but not quite right.

The way I've used ties (and good ones last up to 9 years) although simple, they do not show once lights are fitted and grill replaced. They also hold units really firm. Adjustment screws are clear of any tabs and can be adjusted as before.

The simplest solution is actually to use the US bezel version (with three perfectly spaced tabs rather than offset) which is designed for the job and lines up perfectly with all three screws.

Not the same as this but similar with three equally spaced tabs:

For now, the ties are dead simple, work very well and the bezel looks tidy, without actually modifying anything. Obviously you wouldn't use bright green ones.
Last edited by CovKid on 21 Mar 2015, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

So LR "NADA" spec bezels will fix the problem?

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Got a pic?

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Post by keytouch »

On the Brickwerks blog it was sneak previewing their led headlights.
I'm wondering if they are a standard 7" led unit. If so, I wonder what bezel/bracket Brickwerks is using
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

The three-tab US style one. All the American sealed beam units appear to have fittings like that. They describe them as 'beauty rings':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdiE1ZbIZ7o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing particularly special about them other than the tab spacing. I think some Renaults used three-tab fixings too. As I say, thats the BEST way to fit these units.

Heres a headlight frame with 'beauty ring' (or bezel, or retainer) still on - held with three screws. On photo, at 5 o'clock, 9pm and roughly 1.30pm

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Post by keytouch »

retaining ring for sealed unit available new from classic parts

111941049A
RETAINING RING £25.26

but alas 25 quid each through VW heritage
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Cov: I cant work out why the LR bowls wont fit into the VW frames and messed up the beam setting when you tried the same. The mounting frames allow for the front panel curvature, if the grille is removed and a straight edge laid across the lenses its all in one plane, bar the slight angle for setting the dip.
Is it possible that the LR parts didnt sit down flat in the VW mounts for some reason?

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Keytouch, yes and thats why I couldn't justify fitting those if three cable ties will do it. Unless theres a source comparable to lucas ones which you can get for less than a tenner a pair, from a sensible perspective, they're a lame duck.

Silverbullet, yes spot on. The adapters were made (I think) without taking that angle into account. That meant adjustment screws were at their limit and fouled the frame at the back. But then again, when you weigh it up, the price of designing/making/buying it all - against three ties. I'm not sure its worth it. My lights are in and firmly held after all. Adapter plates were beautifully made though. I may revisit it again but ties, whether simple or not, do work.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Hmmm. Still dont get it. LR has a flat front, T3 headlamp frames are flat across mountings. Should all work...