Brake Parts

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BertieWells
80-90 Mem No: 13372

Re: Brake Parts

Post by BertieWells »

So iv just been for a trip around town (about 3 miles) lots of stop starting. Brakes worked well and they were very very slightly warm to the touch when i got in. No high speeds or heavy braking so wasnt really expecting them to get hot unless i had them adjusted too tight. The only thing i noticed which may or may not be something to worry about is my brakes were pulsating very slightly almost unoticeable when applying the brake gently. Could this just be while the shoes are moving around getting into the correct position? Like i say it was bearly noticable. It may well have been doing that before i changed the brakes and i just hadnt noticed.

Will definitly be adjusting again soon ish :) And im hoping the front will be nice and simple like what2d suggests :ok
1985 1.9 DG

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Pulsing quite normal on brand new shoes as they're not making full contact yet. Mine did the same last night. Adjusted them a little more today and pulsing gone and brakes coming on lovely. Nice progressive feel rather than what I had on those old ones. 3 miles not really enough but adjust them again in a week and you'll feel the difference. :wink:

Then adjust them again in several weeks time.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

BertieWells

Post by BertieWells »

Ok great, cheers!! Ill buy you guys a dring if youre at bus types :)
1985 1.9 DG

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

you won't see cov kid at Bus Types
I'll have his beer though, I'll be there :D
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Strictly a tea man. Nice malt scotch at Christmas but thats it. Kev is right, I don't do bustypes - I concentrate on organising family type VW events these days.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

BertieWells

Post by BertieWells »

Sounds good to me guys :) iv just made a start on the nearside front but have been called off on account of rain :( I was just about to take the grease cap off but it didnt want to move. Iv taken the speedo cable c clip off and put it somewhere safe :roll: . Is it just a case of using a flat screw driver to get the cap off? Just checking i havent missed something obvious :)

Rob
1985 1.9 DG

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Or a cold chisel behind it and lever that. At other times a very gentle tap with the hammer left &right will dislodge it. Small crowbar even. Er, you do have a Haynes manual don't you?

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

BertieWells wrote:Sounds good to me guys :) iv just made a start on the nearside front but have been called off on account of rain :( I was just about to take the grease cap off but it didnt want to move. Iv taken the speedo cable c clip off and put it somewhere safe :roll: . Is it just a case of using a flat screw driver to get the cap off? Just checking i havent missed something obvious :)

Rob
I find the claw hammer lever, or spanner lever method best for removing the grease cap

BertieWells

Post by BertieWells »

I do, but last night it was tempararily missplaced ... i suspect my other halfs insain "organising" skills :roll:

Thanks for the tips guys ill get on it today :)
1985 1.9 DG

BertieWells

Post by BertieWells »

Hi Guys,

All back together and rear brakes bled again without a problem atall.

The front though is another story:

Even with the bleed nipple right out there is no flow what so ever. The brake pedal feels like the nipple is in and there is air in the system. If i take the pipe out of the caliper brake fluid flows out of the pipe completely fine. I know this is sods law for replacing everything but the caliper but do you guys have any idea what might be causing this? This happens on both sides.

Regards

Rob
1985 1.9 DG

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Reads like the caliper is clogged with crap.
try poking a knitting needle in there

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

The most common reason for this is a blocked bleed nipple, I had to drill two out the other day.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

California Dreamin wrote:The most common reason for this is a blocked bleed nipple, I had to drill two out the other day.

Martin
He says he's removed it completely Martin

BertieWells

Post by BertieWells »

Try poking the needle through the brake fluid inlet hole and the bleed nipple hole?

Rob
1985 1.9 DG

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

BertieWells wrote:Try poking the needle through the brake fluid inlet hole and the bleed nipple hole?

Rob
just to confirm, you removed the nipple completely and there was no flow when the pedal was pressed?