Post by DoubleOSeven »

1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

TobyGilden
80-90 Mem No: 28760

Re: Car stereo

Post by TobyGilden »

The stereo is up and running. I ended up going to aldi Nd they had one in stock. It's brilliant. I've been phoning all of my friends just for the sake of it thought the stereo.

I ended up buying some speaker wire and connectors rather than bodging it. I bought a windscreen aerial from my local shop for £6, and it does a great job, I mounted it behind all of the dash instruments.

Thanks for all of the help and guidance.
VW T25 1.9 watercooled engine LHD

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

You won't go wrong with the ALDI one. With a nice pair of speakers it can sound superb. Agree on phone facility. I use that all the time. Have a group of 80/90 friends on '3' so we can phone each other free. Makes journeys a lot more interesting. Its cool when you get a call come in as you don't even need to take your phone out of your pocket (nor should you EVER in my opinion) - just press the green button.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

Post by MattBW »

CovKid wrote:Get the ALDI MP3 stereo unit when its in again and theres loads of room behind. I'm fairly sure CD format is dead now. Lot easier to dump a load of MP3s on a low profile USB stick. I cleared out all my CDs two years ago. The ALDI one has radio, USB input and takes flash cards. It also does bluetooth so you can chat to a mate while you drive. Cheap they may be but they sound fantastic and are well made. Very easy to connect up.

Echo that recommendation.

I have the full size one that has the mp3 cd player in it. Had to use a spacer. Bought it just before they did the shorter one.
It was easy to fit and is a great piece of kit for the money. Even has hands free phone feature and bluetooth music streaming functions. Amazing value and a great piece of kit. :ok
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach

windydubber
80-90 Mem No: 14265

Post by windydubber »

Its worth using crimping connectors. You can buy a set with a crimper for under a tenner on eBay. The connections take up less room than choc block and are less likely to snag when accessing the space. Also a lot easier to disconect and re connect at a later date,

The internal windscreen aerials are pretty good and very easy to fit but the pillar mounted would be better. Just a pain having to drill the hole!

Good luck.
1981 T25 2.0l air cooled Autohomes Kamper. "Bob"

greasemonkey
80-90 Mem No: 14268

Post by greasemonkey »

I've recently got into Wago connectors for this sort of thing, especially for multiple connections such as needing a multiple live feed for various accessories.

Work out pricier than a choc-block etc and possibly a bit overkill for the stereo speakers, but good for the electrical connections.

Work out about 24p each for the twins, but good for places you want a secure connection, or places you want to remove routinely.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

lloydy wrote:I just bought this one through halfords online, only £69.
No cd player, streams music through bluetooth. Comes with a mic for hands free calling
fits in your stereo hole with no need for any trim.

i do like the looks of this one, I was right about to order it but realised it has no SD slot (which i need) :( otherwise looks great!
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed