Swivel base and seat belt anchors

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: Swivel base and seat belt anchors

Post by Jim San »

tforturton wrote:Can't you simply replace the bar set-up with the later version, that's on a flexi cable? All you have to do is swap them over.

I could do. that was the original plan but I don't have one, a quick search of fleabay didn't throw up any and as this way is free and an easier plan to follow.
I do admit I didn't put much effort into trying to find one, could still go for it if you know anyone willing to part with one (or 2)
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Makes more sense to just drill out the bolt hole and use a sleeve to permit movement, ease of movement can be adjusted by washers. Ensure that a locknut is used to avoid any possibility of movement loosening the nut.
Shortening the current strap may mean that larger people have less free belt to play with! (I haven't been outside to check how much belt is free though)
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

busbuddy
80-90 Mem No: 3043

Post by busbuddy »

I shortened, bent and redrilled the passenger stalk in mine

BUT as for your stalk not moving without undoing the bolt, it should be able to, there is supposed to be a Teflon washer and a spring washer iirc that allows the stalk to move with the bolt fully tight.
seat belt bolts are specially made with a gap at the top for the stalk to move in
'88 1.9tdi karmann cheetah

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Mine has a plastic washer behind it, bolt is tight and i can move the stem
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

was going to say as ^^^^they should have a spacer and the securing bolt is just that, a Bolt,so can be fully tightened and still allow a little movement, also needs to, to work correctly
mm

Jim San

Post by Jim San »

Didn't expect such a can of worms to be opened on this :shock:

Now I know it is incorrect, I'll get the proper fasteners and do it as it should be.
Should it be a shouldered bolt?

I would really appreciate a photo of the parts involved if anyone feels so inclined.

There is a fair few fasteners on mine that are not factory. The garage that did the paintwork used anything they could find in the box to fix things on (like the doors for eg, they have a bolt and washer instead of the factory flange bolt - and not enough of the :evil: )

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Other option is to fit a seat belt spacer as shown below with perhaps a nylon washer to stop the stalk from physically dropping but still allowing you to move it when required (thats the conventional way):

Personally I'd undo bolt, put some threadlock on it then put it back in with a plastic/nylon washer so you just have enough movement to drop it down. Threadlock would hold it fine.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

paperhouselad
80-90 Mem No: 10768

Post by paperhouselad »

Sure ours has 2 ptfe washers on, will check later.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

They should have, idea is the bolt is tight and spacers together with nylon washers gives a preset tension so they still mice a bit

Jim San

Post by Jim San »

CovKid wrote:Other option is to fit a seat belt spacer as shown below with perhaps a nylon washer to stop the stalk from physically dropping but still allowing you to move it when required (thats the conventional way):

Personally I'd undo bolt, put some threadlock on it then put it back in with a plastic/nylon washer so you just have enough movement to drop it down. Threadlock would hold it fine.

:ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok

Had a rumage through the box of stuff, found one of these and 4 nylon washers. Swapped them over and its just perfect now - many thanks.

Finished welding the swivel plate in and made a leisure battery retaining strip.
Now I just have to modify the battery box cover so I can open/close it with the swovel plate.