Front wing seam repairs - correct way to do it?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

volks_womble
80-90 Mem No: 13821

Front wing seam repairs - correct way to do it?

Post by volks_womble »

This evening I started to cut out the seat belt mount ready to weld in the new section. Whist removing the underseal in the wheel arch I stupidly started to poke at other lose bits... Only to find more holes :(

What I had thought were reasonably tidy seams at the back edge of the near side wing turns out to have been filled at some point. The edge of the wing that should be attached to the b-post Is mostly not there, and there are some worryingly large holes in the b-post too.

From the outside, none of this is visible. The face of the b-post looks good, and the wing is solid, and has no rot in the wheelarch, the issues are all inside. Even the seam edges look ok now I have cleaned the filler out, but there is little or no return joining them to the van.

So, the question is, what is the best way to repair the face of the b-post without completely removing the wing (presumably destroying it in the process).

I was really hoping not to have to disturb this, but I don't really think I have much choice...

any help, much appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
1989 1.9TDI (AFN) California
1990 2.1MV Syncro Atlantic

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Re: Front wing seam repairs - correct way to do it?

Post by New Kentish Campers »

The trouble with rust is that there will inevitably be more lurking behind what you can see, just as you are discovering :(

I'm in the process of restoring an '86 van that looked good, until I found loads of rust, just like yours. Mine has very simialr rusting so I've bit the bullet by cutting the bad metal out and fitting a new B post & wheel-arch. For what the cost of the panels were, plus the peace of mind in knowing that it wont be returning for many years is worth the effort. Plus of course, if you take pictures of what you are doing, then should you sell the van later on, you can prove that the work was done. :ok

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

heres one way
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 1&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and this will do for the n/s and the lower fridge panel if your doing that
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mm

volks_womble
80-90 Mem No: 13821

Post by volks_womble »

Thanks chaps. It looks like the best bet is to remove the rear section of the wing, repair the b-post with new metal, and let a new return into the wing befor putting it back on...

All sounds so simple.... :shock:

Mike, same on the other side, and a complete inner sill and lower fridge panel on the other side. Figured I would star with the easier side...

Pics of progress to follow.
Thanks
Mark
1989 1.9TDI (AFN) California
1990 2.1MV Syncro Atlantic