Blower switch nightmare

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Roydini
80-90 Mem No: 5119

Re: Blower switch nightmare

Post by Roydini »

Is it possible to get at and clean those relays with the dash in CovKid?
LHD 1983 1.9 DG Petrol Pop-Top Westfalia Joker

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Certainly. You do have to crane your head up though. My best tip is follow all cables related to blower (particularly where it meets fuse box) and clean all connections thoroughly - at least before condemning blower unit.

If its an original blower, it may well be drawing a lot more amps than it did when new (definately on startup), and need replacing, but this circuit (and indeed the rad fan circuit) can be subject to corroded terminals and collectively these cause a considerable amount of resistance over time which can trip fuses constantly. Tell-tale signs are slightly melted terminals at fuse box where wires have got hot. It could still be a bad blower motor ofcourse, but corroded terminals are all too common under the dash.

Unfortunately people tend to increase fuse ratings which might seemingly solve the fuse-blowing short term, but then creates heat build-up in cables and burnt wires. Better to solve the cause than fix the symptoms with electrics or things can and do catch fire. Look at the issue I had with my Propex and that was all down to a poor earth causing a whole length of cable to go up in smoke!
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Roydini
80-90 Mem No: 5119

Post by Roydini »

I've been having similar problems with mine. The wipers were running reeeaaalllyyy sllooowwwllllyyy and then eventually gave up completely. I had already removed the arms and oiled the spindles, checked the bracket behind the glovebox connected to the motor to ensure it was tight and cleaned up the terminals/crimps. When the wipers went completely I checked the fuse, and sure enough, it had blown. I thought the wiper motor was the culprit but after replacing the fuse (same rating!) the wipers started working fine again. Then I tried turning on the heater switch. Stage 1 was working but nothing on stage 2. When I switched to stage 3 it worked fine for about 15 seconds and then blew the fuse again.

Can I assume that the real culprit is probably the blower motor, and therefore follow the previous advice, and that on the wiki, or might there be something else at fault?

Also, I can confirm that my '83 1.9 DG also has the relay up behind the earth crowns that CovKid describes, and mine also looks original. I guess they must have done away with them after the changeover?
LHD 1983 1.9 DG Petrol Pop-Top Westfalia Joker

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Roydini wrote:Can I assume that the real culprit is probably the blower motor, and therefore follow the previous advice, and that on the wiki,

Yes, on pre 85 vans fitted with "bullet" fuses the blower and wipers are on the same circuit. Dashboard out time :twisted: All you need to know is in the wiki.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here