led bulbs

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mercman
80-90 Mem No: 11760

led bulbs

Post by mercman »

Just orderd some led bulbs for dash ,no plate lights and font side lights. Has any body fit them have you had any problems since
also been looking at led head light bulb upgrade any thoughts

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Re: led bulbs

Post by syncroandy »

mercman wrote:led head light bulb upgrade any thoughts

Have you found a legally approved H4 retro-fit solution then that doesn't dazzle and put at risk other road users ?
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

led bulbs

Post by danmetallic »

Yes, I have fitted all the above. Some of them are polarity sensitive (the dash ones mainly), so if they don't work first time turn them around.

If the side lights don't work straight away give the holder terminals a quick sand to brighten the metal. They're quite voltage sensitive.

As for LED headlights, if you have square headlights it's a no go due to the reflectors being unable to focus the LED light. If you have round headlights their are some replacement units that will then allow you to run LEDs legally but these are very expensive (do a search, they've been spoken about a fair bit on here). Hope that helps.
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ

billybigspud
80-90 Mem No: 9454

Post by billybigspud »

syncroandy wrote:
mercman wrote:led head light bulb upgrade any thoughts

Have you found a legally approved H4 retro-fit solution then that doesn't dazzle and put at risk other road users ?

Who cares as long as he can see :wink:

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Plod and/or MOT tester, and its modified from 'stock' under insurance terms. His vehicle though.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

billybigspud
80-90 Mem No: 9454

Post by billybigspud »

CovKid wrote:Plod and/or MOT tester, and its modified from 'stock' under insurance terms. His vehicle though.

You lot crack me up. Most coppers don't know there a*** from there elbow when it comes to stuff like that and would surely not be that bothered. Insurance companies try to wriggle out of anything anyway and if you did have a prang it would go down as a 50/50. Even if it was with a tree. As for an mot tester, it is who you know. :D

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Lot? You do what you do fella but its still right to point them out all the same. Some care, some don't.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

mercman
80-90 Mem No: 11760

Post by mercman »

looks like ill go with dash no plate / interior and front side lights . will abandon idea of led head lamps may be look at hid kit instead. right about police they don't even know tyre law

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

VOSA are sharp though. I saw a camper pulled over at a service station last Summer after they determined that the wheels and tyres fitted were inadequate for the load. He was stood there arguing his case while they were going over the iot with a fine tooth comb. Didn't see what happened after that. They generally seize them but may have put it over to local traffic police. Part of my job puts me into close contact with trading standards and seen numerous vehicles been forcibly crushed. They wouldn't do it for a bulb but its sometimes enough to raise suspicions and if they're not in a good mood you've had it. For that reason alone I go through my insurance line for line now so both they and me know whats what. Grey area though, particularly bulbs as under current regs, you can't legally fit anything other than what it came with. May change in time hopefully.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

mercman wrote:may be look at hid kit instead.

They are not legal on a T25 either.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I suppose if I had some £150 motor I wouldn't be so bothered but owning a classic puts it in a whole different ballgame. I just don't need any obvious mod that could attract attention. By and large LED bulbs are brighter but I've yet to find ones that last as long as the filament ones to be honest and I've gone back to those. Insurance companies don't like paying out and they're not daft. If an assessor spots one mod, they know full well others tend to follow. This forum is littered with examples of mods that don't comply and who wants to be off on your hols with the family, have someone run into you, or worse you into them and find the insurance company have voided your insurance - and boy will they if they can find any excuse to do so, particularly if there are a lot of costs involved. The fact you've paid the premiums won't count, nor will "But I bought it off a reputable company". They won't care a jot.

I doubt anyone, even an assessor is going to care about an LED sidelight but a headlight they might - "The other driver's insurance company claim that the glare from your unapproved headlights caused their client to swerve Sir" - nah not worth it when better wiring, clean reflectors and at least EU approved bulbs will avoid that kind of contention. Besides, HID bulbs in our reflectors won't work. They're not designed for it - beam pattern would be all over the place. Plus the fact Classic and modified are two entirely different insurance policies - unless agreed with Insurance company.

I mentioned this before but when I was with CIS insurance, I went to renew, stated that only change was I had removed middle bench seat (not a big deal) and girl at the other end said "Sorry we can't insure you". Its modified - end of. She wouldn't budge. I could have been driving around with no insurance cover at all had I not revealed this. I now check carefully and discuss with them. Like I say, small bulb change probably no issue but mods can be a very slippery slope. Removing as well as adding counts. You soon care when you get slapped with a massive bill running into thousands of pounds with subsequent whiplash claim with medical bills etc for someone elses damaged or written-off vehicle. I would wager there are a few on here that have modified their campers to such an extent (particularly alloys & low profiles) that if they really checked, would find they're not covered at all. People do what they do but no good crying about it afterwards - particularly when its pointed out from the start. You may get away with it, you may not, but I like to know I'm fully covered.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

CovKid wrote: when I was with CIS insurance, I went to renew, stated that only change was I had removed middle bench seat (not a big deal) and girl at the other end said "Sorry we can't insure you".

How crazy is that :? :shock: :twisted: :roll: Fools.

A mate of mine (on the Scirocco forum) swapped his knackered 96 BHP standard Scirocco engine for a 130 BHP 2.0Ltr 16V engine out of a much more modern Skoda, (basically the same block etc). When he informed his insurance company, they told him his premium had been reduced by £30. It's true and not a "Skoda" joke. Fools
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

U Corsu
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by U Corsu »

Hi,

if one of you looking for more informations about e- marked LED Headlights feel free to ask.

Al ( V-Lux) have also build in these in his Van.

Light-Output is very well, no glare or dissel.

Stephan
one of Z Germans...

Syncronaut No. 250

U Corsu
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by U Corsu »

One Pic of Al's Van.

On the left the TruckLite LED on the right the normal H4.

Stephan
one of Z Germans...

Syncronaut No. 250

greasemonkey
80-90 Mem No: 14268

Post by greasemonkey »

Are the lights even turned on?