Van body - rear side vents

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Van body - rear side vents

Post by garyd »

Does anyone have a T3 van without interior trim and roof lining?

It would have to be one built with a full bulkhead across the back of the cab. Why? because only the bulkhead vans were fitted with the rear side vents - the two horizontal slots in the top rear corner of the panel where the rear side window goes.

If anyone does have such a vehicle, can you please check whether this rear vent connects to the void between the roof skin and where the headlining fits?

My van has these vents but is fully trimmed out. I know from memory, that the inside of the slots is boxed up to the gutter level but have never checked if it is slotted through the gutter to the roof level.

If these do connect through (and if they don't what is their purpose?) I am thinking of putting some grilles into my solid headlining in the hope that they would act as extract vents and increase the rate of air change when travelling. Might get rid of some of the condensation.

Thanks for any help,
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Van body - rear side vents

Post by silverbullet »

Gary, I had a panel van upper wing cut here a while ago, nobody wanted it so it went in the scrap... from memory
(and I did think about cutting out the louvres and the "roasting tin" on the inside) the inner part has louvres at the top of the vertical to create an offset air path, but is spot-welded into the roof seam. It definitely tapers down to nothing at the top edge.