Leisure Battery

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BertieWells
80-90 Mem No: 13372

Leisure Battery

Post by BertieWells »

What's your battery of choice?

Is the passenger seat where everyone mounts theres?

What are the maximum dimentions for here?

Rob
1985 1.9 DG

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Re: Leisure Battery

Post by Ralf85 »

If you measure the space available under the flaps you will have the measurements. The height is limited and is a critical measurement so that the metal lid fits properly below the swivel seat.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

As Ralf85 said..its the height of the T25 battery box particularly, that is the determining factor.
The choice between a 'true deep cycle' leisure battery (which can cope with being in a discharged state better) or a standard starter battery which was fitted as standard to Westfalia models.
Whichever you choose it needs to be 175mm high (not standard 190mm) 175mm deep and a maximum of 310mm wide.

For normal starter type batteries this normally results in a UK CODE 100 battery being fitted. These are around 72ah rating.
It was also confirmed recently that a CODE 110 (still low profile but around 315mm wide) just about squeezes into the gap (you need to carefully measure yours obviously. These are around 80ah with 700+ CCA (cold cranking amps)

Some users on here have sourced a 100ah leisure battery through 'Tanya' batteries.....I'm not a big fan but others on here have used them with good results.

Martin
Last edited by California Dreamin on 25 Nov 2014, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
1989 California 2.1MV

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Or, do what others have done, put the battery in a cupboard - that way you can stash away whatever deal you can get on a leisure battery, regardless of its size and you're not forced to get the tape measure out. You could argue it uses up cupboard space but little more than it would in the battery box which has now been freed up for other items. Moved mine a week ago and fitted a good fusebox to make it all tidy. A lot of cables vanished too as they now run along the back of the cupboard out of sight.

If you can get it in a cupboard close behind starter battery, it makes it easy to connect the two and no need (as before) to run heavy cables between the two seats. Best thing I've done in some years. Everything is all tidy.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

WLC
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by WLC »

BertieWells wrote:What's your battery of choice?

Is the passenger seat where everyone mounts theres?

What are the maximum dimentions for here?

Rob

Mocki recommends "replacing the output feed from the alternator that goes 20" to the main terminal on the starter with a better quality ( double the thickness) replacement . . .

Moving the main battery to the engine bay and using the now redundant main battery feed to feed the fusebox and the split charge next to the leisure battery also is a easy mod that improves things.
"

From which I assume Mocki puts the leisure battery where the starter battery used to be :-?
Apart from the way he uses his relay, it seems the way to go to me :-)

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

General tips on condition and replacement of main cables:

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/VW ... ain_cables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Post by 123-jn »

I have an exide starter battery for my leisure battery it is an 096 but is only 175 high and has 71 AH capacity if in desparation you had to use it all!!! I got it on ebay £54 delivered. I have replaced the usual relay with a voltage sensing one. This means now that as soon as my engine battery gets up to 13.6 volts The relay will switch on and can charge at up to 15 amps. So whether this voltage gain comes from the alternator or the solar panel (which also charges the engine battery) or even a battery charger the relay will also allow the leisure battery to charge. When you switch off or it gets dark the engine battery falls to less than 12.75 volts and the relay switches off. The solar panel charges through a 10 amp charge regulator ( 60 watt panel) which protects the two batteries from overcharge. When the engine is running the solar charge regulator reads the battery voltage as fully charged and cuts the charge from the panel to the battery. For the above reasons my leisure battery has never fallen below 75% charge and thus a starter battery is fine for the job. If I did alot of winter camping I would add another panel as it is the heater which drains the most power.
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi

WLC

Post by WLC »

123-jn wrote:I have an exide starter battery for my leisure battery it is an 096 but is only 175 high and has 71 AH capacity if in desparation you had to use it all!!! I got it on ebay £54 delivered. I have replaced the usual relay with a voltage sensing one. This means now that as soon as my engine battery gets up to 13.6 volts The relay will switch on and can charge at up to 15 amps. So whether this voltage gain comes from the alternator or the solar panel (which also charges the engine battery) or even a battery charger the relay will also allow the leisure battery to charge. When you switch off or it gets dark the engine battery falls to less than 12.75 volts and the relay switches off. The solar panel charges through a 10 amp charge regulator ( 60 watt panel) which protects the two batteries from overcharge. When the engine is running the solar charge regulator reads the battery voltage as fully charged and cuts the charge from the panel to the battery. For the above reasons my leisure battery has never fallen below 75% charge and thus a starter battery is fine for the job. If I did alot of winter camping I would add another panel as it is the heater which drains the most power.

Do you mean that your relay can only let 15 amps of current flow through it please jn :-?

Hash brown
80-90 Mem No: 14028

Post by Hash brown »

I have just fitted a Alpha Ultra Plus 100amp under my passenger seat. The original was a 70amp and this new one only just fits with mm to spare.

I had to cut down the earth stud to get it in

Hash brown
80-90 Mem No: 14028

Post by Hash brown »

This one just fits in

JonnyAtlantic
80-90 Mem No: 10709

Post by JonnyAtlantic »

Got the Bosch S5 100. These are more modern battery technology, normally used for stop/start engines. So can keep delivering the power when depleted, great for starting the eber heater. I have them for both starter and leisure. Loads of power and they also have a five year warranty. They are more expensive but the leisure battery I bought from Alpha only lasted three years and didn't really have the CCA to start my eber heater as it draws a few amps to get it started. So worth the extra few quid, Euro car parts often discount them, so even better value then.
1990 Westfalia Atlantic 1.6TD

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Post by 123-jn »

In reply my voltage sensing relay regulates current to max of 15 Amps and is protected by a 20 A fuse incase the unit goes wrong. It has no makers name on it unfortunately so I dont know who made it. I have tested it and no matter how flat the battery is it will only charge at just under 15 A. In full sun when the engine battery is fully charged the leisure battery is charged at about 2A. The best I have had is about 2.8 A when the battery has been down to 60%.
Last edited by 123-jn on 25 Nov 2014, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi

WLC

Post by WLC »

123-jn wrote:In reply my voltage sensing relay regulates current to max of 15 Amps and is protected by a 20 A fuse incase the unit goes wrong. It has no makers name on it unfortunately so I dont know who made it. I have tested it and no matter how flat the battery is it will only charge at just under 15 A.

Thanks jn :-)

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Starter batteries:
Nice cheap option...plenty of power and 4 years warranty for £42.46 Free Post.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-O ... 19e5f76f66" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another £16 for a branded Exide (although 3 years) still good quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exide-Excell- ... 3a9aedb5ab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I said earlier.....you might just be able to squeeze one of these in: but carefully measure you space.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-80AH-Luca ... 4ac378b773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And better quality and 4 years warranty:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-BATTERY-F ... 462b176567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

WLC

Post by WLC »

California Dreamin wrote:Starter batteries:

As I said earlier.....you might just be able to squeeze one of these in: but carefully measure you space.

Martin

How important is it to get that extra battery capacity please Martin :-)