Gear linkage

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Eloise
80-90 Mem No: 13791

Gear linkage

Post by Eloise »

Hi,

After renewing some hoses and fixing the coolant leak, my van has decided that for no apparent reason that it would start it's gear linkage to play up. I'm sure it's possessed. To get first gear, I am having to push the leaver down as though I'm going for reverse and then push forward for first. This is obviously dangerous as I don't want to try and set off to find I have selected reverse. Do you think this is just an adjustment problem or could it be something more serious?

Cheers
1987 komet hi top. 1.9 wbx with plenty of rust

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Gear linkage

Post by CovKid »

Check the base of your gearlever carefully. Has the spring slipped down over the top part of the plastic onion bearing like the inset (top right) picture?

If it has you need to replace front bearing assembly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-CAMPER-T25 ... 2c760c35ef" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or Brickwerks
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Eloise

Post by Eloise »

I will have a look at the weekend. I don't think it is that though as the push down feels really positive. I have to push down as though I am going for reverse, but have push forward for first before the limit of the left hand reverse gate.

One point of note, I renewed a hose joiner from the hard pipe to the coolant manifold and I did notice that the gear selector on the gearbox, has been fouling on one of the pipes, witness mark left on a hose. I have moved these clear now but maybe that was limiting travel previously and I now have created the problem. I wonder if the splines have slipped?

Wedgiebaby
80-90 Mem No: 13921

Post by Wedgiebaby »

Sorry to butt in, but I have the exact same problem with mine. It was getting really bad, but when we had the power steering fitted recently, Neil who did the work, very kindly went underneath the van and re-positioned it, which seemed to fix the problem. Sadly though, it was a temporary fix and it has started to play up again. :( She's going into a VW garage next week to have this looked at, but we really wanted to take her on a 180 mile round trip this Sunday. He couldn't have a look for us before, so not sure if I should just chance it. I am tempted to, as most of it will be motorway, so unless there's a mahoosive queue on the M25 ( which of course could well be possible :roll: ) we shouldn't be using 1st too much. I think we'll take her out for a run the day before and see how much she plays up and make a decision then.

Hope you get yours sorted soon Eloise.

I will have a quick look at the spring on mine too, thanks CovKid.
Be kind to yourself ..... Adopt a Greyhound! :D

Eloise

Post by Eloise »

Go on, risk it, I would. I just have to be careful when selecting first, to make sure it's not reverse. If you find a permanent fix, can you let me know please.

Thanks

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

it is likely to be either a linlkage adjustment issue, wear in the linkage bushes or a broken guide tip on the front linkage below the stick
the wiki has a lot of info on setting up the linkage and there are numerous posts detailing the adjustment if you use search
there's a repair kit if it is worn or broken guide tip

Eloise

Post by Eloise »

Thanks Aidan, I am planning to investigate tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting. I need to understand why it has just decided to play up. It really seems as if something has slipped or broken.

Cheers

Wedgiebaby

Post by Wedgiebaby »

Checked the gear stick/spring position today and it looks ok, so don't think we need a kit. Was worth checking though, thanks guys. Will check on wiki too, but unless a permanent, easy fix pops up on there, we will still take her to the garage at the end of next week.

Eloise, of course I will let you know what Matt finds. We should be getting her back on the 27th/28th so will post the conclusion then. :wink:

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

just looking at photo in covkids post above see the hole you can see in the lower part of the plate through the hole in the top part of the plate, well of the 4 holes 2 should line up, the adjustment is rotational about the 2 M6 studs, late vans, makes a big difference when right - early van with canted floor refer to Bentley , if M6s are loose or stripped it will rotate when selecting reverse to the point it doesn't allign

Eloise

Post by Eloise »

I have had a poke about with the linkage this afternoon. From swivel joint to the gearbox seems ok with very little sloppiness. Looked at the lever base and the spring has indeed dropped but I do not know how detrimental this is to my problem? It still needs a firm push down to go across the gate to reverse?

I re aligned the two holes Aidan has mentioned and it has improved the gear selection to the point that of I select second first, then I can engage first with a straight push up but true to form, I was running around testing it out and when I got back, coolant leaking all over again, another hose has split at the securing clip :roll: I really don't know whether to laugh or cry, oh why do we all bother with these vans?

Cheers

Wedgiebaby

Post by Wedgiebaby »

Hey Eloise,

Got Wedgie back from the VW garage today. Haven't driven her myself yet as Hubby picked her up. He said the gears are perfect now. :ok The 1st gear issue was apparently caused by general wear and tear. Not sure exactly what bits had to be replaced but I will find out and post up when Matt emails me the receipt. Think it was worn bushes and maybe other bits. Anyway, will let you know more when I get the receipt through.
Did you manage to get your's sorted out?
Oh, and now it seems she has a slight water leak from the engine somewhere. Matt noticed a small puddle under her while she was there. Always something eh? :roll:
Diane

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Usually, when the top of the onion bush wears and the spring drops down, the gearstick actually drops down 1/2" or so. Its easy to miss this and although normally this doesn't affect gear changes too much, a sign that something is amiss includes being able to get reverse without having to push down. In addition, if there are further issues elsewhere with the gearchange such as poor alignment or even missing bits, combined this can lead to all kinds of problems. This is why its best to work through the entire assembly front to back, and check for wear.

Certainly on a vehicle that has original bushes and parts, wear is likely to be pronounced by now and its only when parts are finally replaced, you realise just how worn they were. After all, its a long run front to back on a T25 and everything has to be in reasonably good order to get a positive gear change. Even with everything new, its still somewhat clunky but at least you can find the gears.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.