Mercedes Steels

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Mercedes Steels

Post by slowcoach »

Ive got a bit of a crush on 16" steels, as seen on some of the knarlier syncros and vanagons over in the states. My 14" steels and caps are looking worse and worse every winter, since my rattle can refurb 3 years ago. So im looking on german ebay, where there are plenty to choose from, with good offsets (et31) and centre bores big enough from c-class mercs. I dont want to get into adapters or spacers.

The only problem with the rims themselves is that they're largely 12mm bolt holes. So what are the precautions to having them drilled out? Get a machine shop to do it on a pedestal drill? is this fairly common practice? doesnt it alter the cup seat, or not significantly? assuming the correct new nuts and bolts are used with merc ball seats. Ill be having them powder coated. I don't want to buy new mefros, which by the sound of it would need powder coating too for any longevity, and am into recycling anyway.

Secondly, getting larger tyres, but not too large. After plenty of reading, getting about 27" tall tyres looks good for me. Im on stock 185/r14 right now which are 25.75" according to http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpec ... ltwhls.htm , and have a 5 speed with a DH 1.9 injection, which feels like it could take a bigger radius.

Just looking for some advice before jumping! Thanks in advance :ok
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

slowcoach

Re: Mercedes Steels

Post by slowcoach »

well, in lieu of a reply, i have the wheels mentioned above. they fit well with no clearance issues (ive not got tyres fitted yet though). heres the link to the wheels i got http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121389338563

The stock m14 bolts fit easily through the holes so no hassles there, and the centre bore is good. I trial fitted one to the front and back this morning and all is well.

One hurdle remains, which is the bolt seats. The Mercedes uses an r12 radius/ball seat, while the stock vw bolts have an r14 radius/ball seat. Meaning the stock vw bolts don't sit fully into the ball seats of the merc rims, and only make contact on the outer edge (confirmed by oiling the radius on the bolt and pushing it into the merc seat, to see how much coverage of oil is transferred onto the seat) . So what i need now, i think, is replacement bolts that have the smaller r12 radius - m14x1.5 r12 ball seats. (and corresponding nuts for the back).

So what do people do? just use the stock r14's? because theyre bloody hard to find!? lots in the US and Germany, but postage for nuts and bolts seems a waste. brickwerks have the correct r12 nuts for the back, but not exactly the right bolts for the front. ( I dont want to convert the front to studs )

cheers! :ok
===================

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Well.....my Merc steels are bolted on with stock bolts and have been for 8 years. Agree on different contact area but mine are done up tight (bolts and nuts) and thats that.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

CovKid wrote:Well.....my Merc steels are bolted on with stock bolts and have been for 8 years. Agree on different contact area but mine are done up tight (bolts and nuts) and thats that.

ok i like this.. thanks covkid. 8 years sounds good to me. Ill likely use the stock bolts and if i come across any of the matching bolts ill replace them at that time.

just need to powder coat them. and get tyres...

Last edited by slowcoach on 28 Sep 2014, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
===================

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

My wheels are (visually) identical to yours except they're 15" and ET25 - as fitted by so many Germans. They give a wide track without fouling slider.

Incidentally, what and where for your spare?
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

Have you any pictures of yours fitted? I thought you had the clk alloy wheels fitted, must be someone else though.

Spare will just be the 14" stock. Always using it on the front with some wheel shuffling if I ever need it, and for limping somewhere for a tyre repair.

Its a shame there's not a bigger wheel clam available, they'd be good sellers if anyone started production!
===================

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

Double post
Last edited by slowcoach on 13 Oct 2014, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
===================

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

Back from the powder coaters, looking like new again :-)

Et 31

Part number 2034001602

I just need to find some appropriate tyres next.
===================

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Excellent job they are. I'm not familiar with whats available in terms of 16" rims or how competitive that part of the tyre market but hopefully you'll find something that isn't in the £100 a tyre bracket. My rationale for moving to 15" was the sheer volume of commercial 15" tyres around.

Had some weird things going on with steering yesterday so gave my front tyres an inspection this morning and discovered exposed webbing on inside edge :shock: so fetched my spare rims and new tyres out of the lockup so I can get them fitted first thing tomorrow. Glad I looked. :evil:

My tip on tyres remains - buy the next set a year before you need them. That way you have time to get the best deal rather than having to accept what the nearest tyre place offers you.

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

I'm not in a rush for the tyres, but yes I too hope I'm not going to get squeezed for 100 a tyre! She's in for some body work presently anyway.

I was thinking to get used ones first, as I toy with the size. The last new tyres I bought was in 2009 and they still look good, I just hope I can find some decent prices..
===================

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Keep an eye on bay of fleas and see what turns up. The set I'm about to put on are Michelins (new). A guy bought them with intention of putting them on a vintage fire vehicle but they were wrong size so he sold them on. Fair drive to fetch them but still worked out to about £45 a tyre including what I used on fuel. Mind you, these are 195/80/15 so that'll be different :D

I agree though, perhaps try part worns to see what works first.

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

CovKid wrote:Mind you, these are 195/80/15 so that'll be different :D

I agree though, perhaps try part worns to see what works first.

those tyres seem to be a pretty big radius, 27.28 inches high (using the bwerks calculator). Is that with a wbx? Id go that far, if its ok with the gearing. Or is that considered a fairly modest increase? Id be keen to hear how it drives when you get them on.

Ill start looking soon, theres a place in Bacup nearby that does part worn ones, ill see if i can come to some sort of 'arrangement' and maybe try a couple of sizes out.
===================

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Yeah they're big uns. I'll be putting front ones on tomorrow so will take a pic. If I can draw level with folks on top deck of a double decker bus, I may have overdone it. :rofl

Should look a bit 'syncro' but a road test is needed I think. Arches can definately take them. I'll also check on the GPS as I think it'll put speedo out a tadge. Need to know where I'm at on that score for sure.

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

Cool, I'll watch out for the pic and your road test results :-)
John
===================

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

ive had a ring around a couple of local tyre places. the ones i want are 205/70/16 (good balance of width and desired height), although they both said that was an unusual size, and suggested the 215/65/16. i have 7J rims.

i dont think im very keen on 215 wide though, i really hate the noise of a passing car with wide wheels on (im a cyclist - some bloody range rovers and things sound like hell coming up fast). going from stock 185s to 215 sounds a big jump to me! i wonder if ill have to just have a look and see what they looks like and how they compare. or just keep ringing around :wink:
===================