1.6 td - should i feel any boost?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: 1.6 td - should i feel any boost?

Post by RogerT »

Opened the LDA, junior hacksaw all round the edge of the flange. And here is the hole! Next to mend with superglue and a bit of bicycle inner tube.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (8.61 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (10.37 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Honey I shrunk the photos!

RogerT

Re: 1.6td - getting some boost...

Post by RogerT »

Slightly bigger...
This follows on from my thread "1.6td - what's this wee pipe on inlet manifold?" I discovered the pipe to the LDA wasn't even connected to the turbo, but to the end of a bolt on the waste gate. Still didn't work after putting it on that wee pipe on the inlet manifold of course, what with it having a leaky diaphragm. Dieselkontor.de sell new Lda's for €120, and also replacement diaphragms in a pack of 5. They helpfully advised how to open the LDA (cut round the flange, bolt it together when finished with M2 bolts), and my plan is to use a flexible cyanoacrylate (superglue) and some old bicycle inner tube to patch the hole, tho I need to check that whatever oily stuff it was that was in the LDA is not an effective solvent for the glue. Literature says that motor oil is ok.

Edited: changed title and added detail.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.36 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.52 KiB) Viewed 1490 times

freebornman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by freebornman »

tensilekid wrote: 15 Jul 2014, 17:31 Hi
It takes around 0.2 bar that's 3 psi to move thew actuator and 10 psi to fully move it harder than I can blow!
to test the actuator remove the pipe , pull arm full back (towards the rear of the van) quite stiff , put finger over the metal pipe connector to seal it, let go of the arm it should not move if it moves back then there is a leak in the diaphragm . This part is the LDA and controls the boost mixture Brickworks I think has them at a cost!

Evening all,
Some great threads and info on the forum, I have just carried out the above to my 1986 16td jx and as described, it fails the `finger over pipe connector` test.  Will be ordering one from Brickwerks.  
Was wondering if the faulty LDA would contribute to a blue smoke from the exhaust?  I am going to change the turbo oil return line as that has a slight drip of oil, I had the oil and filter changed to see if this was a cause but still blue smoke particularly under load when cold, although after a good 20 min run the blue smoke seemed to subside ?   Engine has always been a tad sluggish up hills-not that I am looking to break any hill climb records - and has always been good with oil consumption.   Any thoughts and possible solutions would be greatfully  received.  
Happy Camping  8)

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

There’s not really much in the way off an ooooo that’s boosting , but mine jx will do 100-120kmph

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

For what it’s worth, I gave up trying to repair my diaphragm and shelled out for a new LDA, and felt the improvement. No idea about your smoke... how much do you get, faint smoke or choking following motorists? All the time or under load?

freebornman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by freebornman »

Smoke was pretty bad, I would say excessive. checked underneath and noticed that the oil return pipe had a slight kink in it,  I changed it over this morning and took for a run, the blue smoke has thus far  virtually dissappeared  :D   I will be changing my LDA  as that is not working properly so, fingers crossed, I will be back to normal running soon  :ok