An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

slowbus
80-90 Mem No: 3678

Rev counter dead plus battery light on

Post by slowbus »

1990 1.6TD JX engine
Hi guys.
sitting in a site in Italy and looking for help. Today during a 200km drive my Rev counter stopped working and my battery charge light came on (and stays on). I also think my glow plug light has died (but will check again later when engine has cooled).
The van is starting ok at the moment. Was wondering if there is any known issues. ie; relays, etc
Thanks

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Re: Rev counter dead plus battery light on

Post by marlinowner »

Think rev counter signal comes from alternator on diesel, so that would suggest alternator related problem. Not sure how glow plug light would fit unless problem at 14 way connector to instrument panel.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Got a multimeter?
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oberon
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Oberon »

Fan belt

slowbus

Post by slowbus »

Will get into engine bay today to check fan belt, but i was thinking that the problem may be at the instrument cluster end, as rev counter died at same time as charging light came on. (glow plug light now working). There is a garage near the site. I guess I could go there Monday and ask if they'll check the alternator.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

"rev counter died at same time as charging light came on" - which is why Marlinowner suggests alternator. Both run from the alternator on diesels. Alternator fault and thats what would happen.

See if you're getting 14v at battery when engine is running. Chances are, no.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

slowbus

Post by slowbus »

Thanks for the replies everyone & thanks to Covkid for the clarification....
Managed to get hold of a very basic battery tester today. It shows the battery is excellent (presumably cause I've been on hook up for 24 hours).. but the alternator gauge does not move at all, when engine running, so looks as if it is dead. I'll take it into a garage near the camp site on Monday and then see what happens
thanks again
John

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

It probably just needs a brush/regulator unit. I'm sure they can be had even out there. Two screws, pull out the old one, fit the new one and put the screws back. You can do it in situ. Good luck :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

slowbus

Post by slowbus »

Thanks again Covkid, your a gem.
would you know, if I'm right in thinking all 1.6TD Westfalia campers use 90amp Alt'??? I can't see any markings/labels on mine.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

You're assuming that the alternator is kaput though. It may not be. Take a look at the back of it. You should see a unit held on with two screws. If you undo these you should be able to wriggle the regulator and brushes out (they're one unit). Check the brushes. They may no longer be making the contact they used to which would render the alternator dead. Its often this that goes or the regulator ityself. In the UK they are under £20 and quick and simple to change. If it still doesn't work with a new one then alternator probably IS kaput.

Try checking that first. Whether its 65amp or 90amp matters not for the moment.

slowbus

Post by slowbus »

It's part of my nature. .. always fearing the worse :(
Looks like the regulator is knackered. Brushes are well worn. Local garage has ordered a new one and should arrive later today.
Thanks again for your advice.
You gotta love Club 80 90
john