Help, stuck on mway!

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Help, stuck on mway!

Post by mariner »

Hi guys. Just had to pull over on the mway. Van started juddering then gave out. Aircooled so think I've just overheated. How long should I leave before trying to go? Was thinking half hour? Cheers. John
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Re: Help, stuck on mway!

Post by Ralf85 »

Sounds like a seized engine. Have you checked your oil level? You might make it home if you've only got a mile or two to go. Otherwise, call the breakdown service.

mariner

Post by mariner »

Plenty of oil and nothing leaking that I can see. Probably got about 10 miles to go. Think I'll give it an hour to cool and take it from there. Thanks for the reply.

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Dude, don't keep us in suspense forever. We've got many fingers crossed for you!
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Fuel or electrical problem... ???

Did you get home??

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Fell asleep in the van, breakdown turned up. For love nor money they couldn't wake him up. He's still there, snoozing away. Just speculating. Any other ideas? :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

mariner

Post by mariner »

Sorry guys, ended up being a long day! Needed the help of the RAC in the end who fixed it in 5 minutes with the help of a small tap from a hammer and a screwdriver. Fuel pipe into carb had worked loose and just need reattaching and tightening. He suggested I locktite in the small metal tube that the came away from the carb back in but not sure about this. A dry fit seemed fine in the factory! Alls well that ends well! :)

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Glad you got it sorted, but have you considered what might have happened :shock:

mariner wrote:Fuel pipe into carb had worked loose and just need reattaching and tightening.

:shock: Heck, you were lucky, we sometimes hear of VW vans going up in flames due to petrol leaking onto hot engines :shock:

So glad this was not one of those, but I would for sure be checking the whole fuel system in the engine bay, and making sure that stub pipe is very secure too. Threadlock will help there.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

baj25
80-90 Mem No: 12953

Post by baj25 »

Any doubts on fuel system, SORT IT. Yes I am shouting. My last van caught fire while I was driving it (never will know cause TBH) and I had to jump out then watch it burn. Only time I cried in 2013. You don't want to know what that feels like believe me. SORT IT PROPERLY. Bri

mariner

Post by mariner »

Yeah, was a bit panicky at the time when fuel spat all over the hard shoulder, particularly with the kids on board. Will take heed of your advice guys and get everything checked out. Thanks.

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

I had a Porsche 944 that caught fire, started when the heater motor overheated and set the plastic shrouding alight, its not pleasant watching it burn whilst waiting for the fire brigade...
Have a fire extinguisher now.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

marlinowner wrote: Have a fire extinguisher now.
:ok

I don't often say stuff that might offend, but anyone who has not got a fire extinguisher in a camper van is just mad, so if that is anyone reading this = GET ONE !!

It's also good if you ever come across any other vehicle that is on fire, you can save the day and be a right hero :D 8)

Note, engine bay fires on T25's = open the number plate flap and fire the extinguisher in via there. Saves all that time getting to the lid, plus opening the main lid allows air in and flames out.

I have one of those "Halon" type ones that you cannot buy now (iirc) but I reckon they are the best for vehicle fires. I wonder what is "next best" = I guess maybe a CO2 one, but I am no expert in this field. I know powder ones make a right mess, but I suppose a mess is better than a fire !
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

thebobster
80-90 Mem No: 8953
Location: Liverpool. 2.1 DJ engine.. LPG by Gasure. Magic Zoom (Blos) by Campershack.

Post by thebobster »

I have not one but three fire extinguishers in my van. One I can reach from the driver's seat, one in the kitchen area and one behind the tailgate should I need engine access via the number plate flap. Where I work, (Social Services Ambulance fleet) the older vehicles are equipped with Firetrace, an automatic fire fighting system which works in a similar way to a sprinkler system. In the interests of saving public money, the newer vehicles in the fleet do not have it fitted. Also, as the system is pressurised, over time, the pressure leaks away and the system fails and no effort is made to test and replenish old vehicle systems despite the fact that the fire bigade's own mechanics maintain our fleet. The pictures below are of an ambulance fitted with Firetrace and an extinguisher in the cab. The driver was 'test driving' the ambulance after its usual driver had reported a ''sort of a hot smell when you are moving''. The ambulance went from a situation of wisps of smoke coming from the demister vents to fully burnt out in less than 20 minutes. Fortunately there was only the driver on the bus and he escaped without incident.

The fire extinguisher in the cab.

The remains back in our depot.

The cab area.

The interior with seat skeletons.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Heck with three I'll call you out Bob instead of the fire brigade :rofl
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.