Gear box swap out, what to expect?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rob1927
80-90 Mem No: 11027

Gear box swap out, what to expect?

Post by rob1927 »

Hello all, could you advise on the following, reverse gear has gave up the ghost on my current gear box, 5 speed 3H. Its definatly the box and not the linkage as I've renewed all worn linkage parts, i checked with the linkage disconnected by hand to see if the gearbox selector shaft would go into reverse but no joy, its knackered!

Luckily i've got a donor van in the garden with the correct box, I've checked the selector shaft on this box by hand and all gears engage quite smoothly, much smoother than the current broken box. So i'm gonna put the donors box in my current van, i've had a look and i'm confident enough to do the job myself.

First question is what size is the 12 spline tool required to remove the CV bolts? These look fairly corroded on both vans, are they usually a real pain to remove?

Should i be looking at replacing any seals or gaskets whilst i'm in there?

And any other tips or advise on what to do would be greatly appreciated. I should have been setting off to the UK next week, fingers crossed i can sort before to long!

Oh one last question is it better to use new CV bolts when putting everything back?

Cheers,

Rob.
Proud owner of my 1.6TD JX '89 Caravelle, other wise known as -'that which is usually broke'.

andyh10
80-90 Mem No: 12966

Re: Gear box swap out, what to expect?

Post by andyh10 »

Hi there, im in the process of doing the same. with my experience, you'll need knew bolts, i got them on ebay. but i know vw heritage now has them in stock. i had a terrible time trying to get them out, every bolt seems to fight me on this van. they where the hardest part to once those are loose, the rest should be easy/easier.

as for the bit its a 6 mm hex bit.

thats all i can help you with im afraid. good luck.

andyh10
1982 1.6d hightop

tommin
80-90 Mem No: 9348

Post by tommin »

Having just removed and fitted my own box back on, pretty straight forward as long as you have the head room to work. Check all your seals, well worth replacing spigot bearing and clutch plate. Replace oil. Re-new and re-sight earth strap. Make sure the frame work holding the nose of the box is sound, clean and rust free, once bolted back up, a coat of underseal. Drive shafts, check all rubbers (replace as needed, and fresh grease in the boots). All new drive bolts. Finally check your starter for wear and tear (you have to take it out anyhow). Clean up reverse switch and you should be good to go. :D
Life is an oldie campervan
1983 1.6D Bus :)
1989 16D Caravelle C (Botched to 1.6TD) :(

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

There should be a separation stickie for posts like this. I wouldn't have thought to clean up the reverse switch whilst doing this job. Good thinking batman.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

rob1927

Post by rob1927 »

Hello and thanks for your replies, i managed to get the job done, the van seems to drive much better now. It was a bit of a struggle to do the job alone, luckily all the drive/CV bolts came out easily with a good soaking of penetrating oil, this was the bit i was worried about the most i thought i was gonna encounter some snapped bolts here.

The clutch and needle bearing are only 3,000 Kms old as the vans had a rebuilt engine, i didn't renew the gearbox seals on the replacement box, i only replaced the selector shaft seal, 4.5 litres of new gearbox oil now in, the toughest part by far was mating the gearbox to the engine, with getting the box balanced right on the jack being real tricky underneath the van! But it went! I've been for an 80Km drive this evening so will recheck all the CV bolts tomorrow. I was quite chuffed i pulled it off never done one before, in the future i'll be able to do the clutch myself and save some money. The job would have been much easier with two people but none the less doable alone.

Heres a foto of the knackered gearbox's drain plug, bearing and bearing shells all over it, i wouldn't like to think what lurks inside! I'd lost reverse completely and i don't think it would have been to long till further problems occurred, it was about a litre and a half to two litres low on gearbox oil.

Thanks again folks, still gotta do the anti roll bar bushes, and turbo, and seems, and front window and on and on.......... :D
Proud owner of my 1.6TD JX '89 Caravelle, other wise known as -'that which is usually broke'.

tommin
80-90 Mem No: 9348

Post by tommin »

Alone as you say is a real pain but doable. Looks like you did the right thing as that pic looks real nasty :o
Good on you :ok
Life is an oldie campervan
1983 1.6D Bus :)
1989 16D Caravelle C (Botched to 1.6TD) :(

rob1927

Post by rob1927 »

Cheers Tommin, glad it went when it did as I'm making a big trip quite soon! :D

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I found it easier to use a jack from the top with a rope sling, provided you have the jack well balanced it allows you to move the gearbox back into position more easily.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

rob1927

Post by rob1927 »

Cheers OBG, good point there, i'll definatly bear that in mind for next time. :D

andyh10

Post by andyh10 »

Ok where do i begin

i put the replacement gearbox in today, all went well, i used the technique OBG mentioned with the jack up top and using a rope sling. was very effective and made it alot easier to position the gb. but for the life of me i could get the box back enough. the mount wouldnt line up with the cross member. only by 3.5 cm, very frustrating day.

the box that came out was a 91, the box that (almost) went in is a 91/1. these boxs have different nose cones and therefore differnt shaped mounts. see pic below. new mount on the left, is this a stock VW peice?

the only solution i can see is to modify the newe gearbox's mount. but surely there must be something im missing. why doesnt this fit???

anyone had the same issue, or can give me some insight?
1982 1.6d hightop

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

so you have fitted the Aircooled box to a watercooled van, the box is shorter, the linkage is different at the back so you will have to resolve that, RJES does a mount adapter for the Aircooled gearbox when fitted to subaru engine which may resolve the mount, you will have to swap across and modify the linkage from the donor vehicle, I hope it was a 2 litre bus rather than a 1.6 petrol or diesel

andyh10

Post by andyh10 »

Hi Aiden

i think the donor box came out of a 1.6 diesel its a DY code, why would a 2.0l be better? i have the appropriate linkage parts.
1982 1.6d hightop